Prosecutor: Boston military contractor tried to derail Utah 'cowpokes' bribery probe
The judge wasn't persuaded. Wells noted Taylor's ties to Lebanon and his "international network of travel and associates" among reasons to keep him incarcerated.
Young, who is not in custody, also appeared before Wells on Thursday for a detention hearing. He remains free, but Wells required him to post a $7,500 cash bond and surrender his passport.
Young, 49, as a "public official" representing the Army, not only received the bribes but solicited them as well, according to federal prosecutors.
Young and Taylor pleaded not guilty to the charges earlier this week.
Harris, 48, was conditionally released and is scheduled to be arraigned Sept. 23. He worked as the American International "country manager" in Afghanistan under the contract.
Court records say it was Harris’ banking habits in St. George that opened the case for federal investigators three years ago.
In 2007, the Army solicited bids for a U.S. contractor to supply and train Afghan troops. The pilot contract was "related to logistics and weapons maintenance support for Afghan commando units," according to the indictment.
Young oversaw all special operations forces in Afghanistan, according to court records. Prosecutors allege that Young "fraudulently disclosed procurement information about the pilot contract, including bid, proposal and source selection information."
American International won the contract after Young provided it with protected information about the bidding, including "the government's price estimate, source selection criteria, competing bid information and other confidential procurement information," the indictment states.
Harris was paid about $17.4 million by Taylor and American International, according to court records, and Taylor received $1.7 million. Harris tried to hide his proceeds by structuring his transactions at America First Credit Union in St. George so he wouldn't be detected by the bank's warning mechanisms, the indictment states.
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak economic...
- How the UK could remain in the EU even if it...
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Markets reel as world absorbs shock of UK...
- Michelle Singletary: Should you replace your...
- Dave Ramsey says: You might not need life...
- New FAA rules on drone use could help local...
- How the Brexit could affect U.S. businesses...
- Trial ordered for politician accused of... 7
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Emery County defrauded out of nearly... 4
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 4
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak... 3
- Michelle Singletary: Should you replace... 3
- What Costco shoppers should know about... 3
- Delta pilots picket for better pay in... 3