In a battle of two regionally-ranked teams, Utah State soccer will take on nationally ranked No. 12 BYU at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field on Thursday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m.
This is the second-straight week that a nationally ranked team has come to Logan after the Aggies tied No. 23 Washington, 1-1, in overtime last week.
Utah State is 5-1-3 this season, while BYU is 8-1-0. The Aggies are ranked ninth in the West Region, while BYU is first. USU is one of three Western Athletic Conference schools ranked in the West Region along with Denver (seventh) and Seattle (10th).
Senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford has made a name for herself in the current NCAA statistics. She is No. 13 in the nation in save percentage (.897). She is also No. 25 in the country in goals against average with a GAA of 0.57. As a team, USU is No. 27 in save percentage (.875) and No. 30 in GAA (0.61).
BYU holds a 9-0-0 record against Utah State with the first meeting taking place in 1996. Last season was one of the closest matches between USU and BYU with the Cougars earning a hard-fought 1-0 win in Provo.
The Cougars high-powered offense defeated No. 23 Washington, 3-1, on Sept. 15. BYU has won six-straight matches, all at home, including then-No. 6 Penn State, 3-1. BYU has scored 23 goals this season.
BYU improved to 8-1-0 on the year, after handing Washington its first loss of the season. The Cougars only loss of the season came on the road against Utah, which was one of USU’s five wins this season. BYU is 3-0 this season against ranked teams. BYU has three players in double figures in scoring, Michele Murphy, Jaiden Thornock and Carlee Payne Holmoe.
Following the match against the Cougars, USU will take on future Mountain West Conference rival Wyoming on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 1 p.m.
GameTracker is available and can be accessed through the USU website. Admission to Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field is free.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 57
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 38
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34