Carolyn Kaster, Associated Press
Religion and the government are often debated: What role does each play with the other?
The recent YouTube video ridiculing Islam's Prophet Muhammad has rehashed the ongoing debate of religious tolerance. "Secularism is our best way to protect religious freedom and encourage tolerance," Marty Moss-Coane said on Radio Times, quoting from Jacques Berlinerblau's book, "How to Be Secular: A Call to Arms for Religious Freedom."
Berlinerblau's, a faith columnist for the Washington Post and associate professor at Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and director of the University's Program for Jewish Civilization, says secularism is the way to govern a society as complex as ours with so many religious differences.
" One thing they (secularists) believe is that a society should be orderly, and there should be a maximum amount of freedom of religion and freedom from religion within the constraints of orderliness," Berlinerblau said in the broadcast.
However, former GOP presidential candidates Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, among others, have said if the U.S. becomes a secular country it also becomes an atheist country, according to Radio Times.
But Berlinerblau opposes those views and said that secularists and atheists actually don't coincide and that the secularist view is actually more of a Christian view.
"Christianity has always had this deep seeded suspicion about what happens when faith and power collide," he said in Radio Times. "Secularism emerges, precisely as I try to describe it, as a vision of protecting freedom of conscious, religious liberty, the right of citizens to believe absolutely anything they want to believe. And as we build out the secular package in the 20th Century that also means the right of not to believe." Berlinerblau also mentions religious leaders such as Martin Luther who worried about freedom of conscious.
Listen to more of Berlinerblau's comments on Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Sexual harassment? Colorado school suspends...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 119
- Space and religion: How believers view... 23
- Health care debate about presidential... 22
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12