Driver who slammed into school bus was distracted, police say
OGDEN — A distracted driver slammed into the side of an empty school bus Wednesday, crushing the passenger side of her vehicle, police said.
Ashley Quintana, 23, of Roy, sustained head, neck, face and back injuries, said Weber County Sheriff's Lt. John Morrow. But the accident could have been fatal if there had been a passenger in the car.
"We're lucky there was no passenger," he said.
The accident happened about 8 a.m. near 3550 West and 5500 South in south Weber County. A school bus was parked on the side of the road in a residential area. The bus driver, who was not in the vehicle at the time of the accident, was waiting to begin his route, Morrow said.
Quintana was speeding and attempting to dial a number on her cell phone when she crashed into the side of the bus, he said. The speed limit on the road is 25 mph. Morrow said Quintana's exact speed was still being investigated Wednesday, but was believed to be significantly higher.
The impact of the collision pushed the bus forward a foot. The bus was still able to drive away on its own power. Quintana's vehicle had to be towed. She was taken to a local hospital to be treated for her injuries. Quintana was conscious, breathing and alert when she was taken to the hospital, Morrow said.
Potential charges against Quintana were pending Wednesday.
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 80
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12