Driver who slammed into school bus was distracted, police say
OGDEN — A distracted driver slammed into the side of an empty school bus Wednesday, crushing the passenger side of her vehicle, police said.
Ashley Quintana, 23, of Roy, sustained head, neck, face and back injuries, said Weber County Sheriff's Lt. John Morrow. But the accident could have been fatal if there had been a passenger in the car.
"We're lucky there was no passenger," he said.
The accident happened about 8 a.m. near 3550 West and 5500 South in south Weber County. A school bus was parked on the side of the road in a residential area. The bus driver, who was not in the vehicle at the time of the accident, was waiting to begin his route, Morrow said.
Quintana was speeding and attempting to dial a number on her cell phone when she crashed into the side of the bus, he said. The speed limit on the road is 25 mph. Morrow said Quintana's exact speed was still being investigated Wednesday, but was believed to be significantly higher.
The impact of the collision pushed the bus forward a foot. The bus was still able to drive away on its own power. Quintana's vehicle had to be towed. She was taken to a local hospital to be treated for her injuries. Quintana was conscious, breathing and alert when she was taken to the hospital, Morrow said.
Potential charges against Quintana were pending Wednesday.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13