BREMERTON, Wash. – The BYU men’s golf team finished in ninth place, shooting a combined 11-over-par third round at the Husky Invitational after a strong day from sophomore Devon Purser.
Purser eagled the par-five 14th to shoot a third-round 71 (-1), finishing the tournament tied for 13th overall. Purser led all Cougars shooting a 220 total (+4) in the 54-hole tournament, helping the Cougars to a 38-over-par 902 total .
“Devon played really well,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “It was a nice finish for him. We’ve been excited about his summer play and then for him to come up here and play like he did was really impressive.”
The Olympic Course at Gold Mountain proved to be a challenge for the Cougars. Senior Zac Blair struggled off the start and finished with a third-round 78 (+6). Junior Justin Keiley finished with a third-round 74 (+2) after shooting even par on the back nine to close out the tournament.
“We found a very difficult, challenging golf course,” Brockbank said. “I’d call it a championship golf course, probably one of the top three or four that we’ll play all year.”
West Coast Conference foe St. Mary’s finished the tournament in third place, while Pepperdine and Gonzaga finished in 12th and 13th place respectively.
The Cougars are back in action next Friday and Saturday, Sept. 28-29, as they travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate. Live stats of the tournament can be followed at golfstat.com.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 45
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33