BREMERTON, Wash. – The BYU men’s golf team finished in ninth place, shooting a combined 11-over-par third round at the Husky Invitational after a strong day from sophomore Devon Purser.
Purser eagled the par-five 14th to shoot a third-round 71 (-1), finishing the tournament tied for 13th overall. Purser led all Cougars shooting a 220 total (+4) in the 54-hole tournament, helping the Cougars to a 38-over-par 902 total .
“Devon played really well,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “It was a nice finish for him. We’ve been excited about his summer play and then for him to come up here and play like he did was really impressive.”
The Olympic Course at Gold Mountain proved to be a challenge for the Cougars. Senior Zac Blair struggled off the start and finished with a third-round 78 (+6). Junior Justin Keiley finished with a third-round 74 (+2) after shooting even par on the back nine to close out the tournament.
“We found a very difficult, challenging golf course,” Brockbank said. “I’d call it a championship golf course, probably one of the top three or four that we’ll play all year.”
West Coast Conference foe St. Mary’s finished the tournament in third place, while Pepperdine and Gonzaga finished in 12th and 13th place respectively.
The Cougars are back in action next Friday and Saturday, Sept. 28-29, as they travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate. Live stats of the tournament can be followed at golfstat.com.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48