BREMERTON, Wash. – The BYU men’s golf team finished in ninth place, shooting a combined 11-over-par third round at the Husky Invitational after a strong day from sophomore Devon Purser.
Purser eagled the par-five 14th to shoot a third-round 71 (-1), finishing the tournament tied for 13th overall. Purser led all Cougars shooting a 220 total (+4) in the 54-hole tournament, helping the Cougars to a 38-over-par 902 total .
“Devon played really well,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “It was a nice finish for him. We’ve been excited about his summer play and then for him to come up here and play like he did was really impressive.”
The Olympic Course at Gold Mountain proved to be a challenge for the Cougars. Senior Zac Blair struggled off the start and finished with a third-round 78 (+6). Junior Justin Keiley finished with a third-round 74 (+2) after shooting even par on the back nine to close out the tournament.
“We found a very difficult, challenging golf course,” Brockbank said. “I’d call it a championship golf course, probably one of the top three or four that we’ll play all year.”
West Coast Conference foe St. Mary’s finished the tournament in third place, while Pepperdine and Gonzaga finished in 12th and 13th place respectively.
The Cougars are back in action next Friday and Saturday, Sept. 28-29, as they travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate. Live stats of the tournament can be followed at golfstat.com.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45