Provo-based Vivint to be acquired by Blackstone in $2 billion transaction
Vivint Inc., the Provo-based solar, security and home automation company, will be acquired by global investment firm Blackstone Group LP, valuing the company around $2 billion and making it one of the biggest deals in Utah history.
“Having Blackstone behind us supercharges our ability to continue growing the company and the technology and services we will roll out over the next few years” including international expansion, home health care and solar, Todd Pedersen, chief executive officer of Vivint, said in a telephone interview.
Related story:earlier this month. The company plans to add another 1,200 to 1,500 employees by the end of 2013, Pedersen said.
The company, formerly known as APX Alarm Security Solutions, is expanding into home automation, which allows residents to turn off appliances and monitor energy costs remotely among other services.
The company earns about $360 million a year. Vivint also added 170,000 new customers in 2011.
"We're not trying to be that system that is $1 million in up front costs; we're trying to sell to every American," Pedersen previously told the Deseret News at his Provo headquarters. "The objective is simplifying life, increasing energy efficiency and protecting families."
Blackstone, the investment firm purchasing Vivint, has holdings in companies such as Leica, The Weather Channel, Hilton Worldwide and Apria Healthcare.
The transaction between Blackstone and Vivint will be in cash and not stock, Pedersen said.
“I asked for it to be paid in gold,” Pedersen, who plans to buy a new Dodge truck, said. “But they will not pay me in gold. They told me.”
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- UTOPIA mayors looking for alternative method...
- Utah company being considered to stop...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Officials to authorize construction on...
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- McDonald's names new US president again
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in... 7
- Twitter tries to block images of James... 6
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 5
- A tough label to chew on: What does... 4
- UTOPIA mayors looking for alternative... 4
- Utah company being considered to stop... 3