Provo-based Vivint to be acquired by Blackstone in $2 billion transaction
Vivint Inc., the Provo-based solar, security and home automation company, will be acquired by global investment firm Blackstone Group LP, valuing the company around $2 billion and making it one of the biggest deals in Utah history.
“Having Blackstone behind us supercharges our ability to continue growing the company and the technology and services we will roll out over the next few years” including international expansion, home health care and solar, Todd Pedersen, chief executive officer of Vivint, said in a telephone interview.
Related story:earlier this month. The company plans to add another 1,200 to 1,500 employees by the end of 2013, Pedersen said.
The company, formerly known as APX Alarm Security Solutions, is expanding into home automation, which allows residents to turn off appliances and monitor energy costs remotely among other services.
The company earns about $360 million a year. Vivint also added 170,000 new customers in 2011.
"We're not trying to be that system that is $1 million in up front costs; we're trying to sell to every American," Pedersen previously told the Deseret News at his Provo headquarters. "The objective is simplifying life, increasing energy efficiency and protecting families."
Blackstone, the investment firm purchasing Vivint, has holdings in companies such as Leica, The Weather Channel, Hilton Worldwide and Apria Healthcare.
The transaction between Blackstone and Vivint will be in cash and not stock, Pedersen said.
“I asked for it to be paid in gold,” Pedersen, who plans to buy a new Dodge truck, said. “But they will not pay me in gold. They told me.”
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Sex and violence harm rather than help...
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- Many taking too many risks on public Wi-Fi,...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't working for...
- US judge rules Greenpeace in contempt for...
- A more family-friendly minimum wage 27
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Hillary Clinton offers energy plans,... 10
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a... 10
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Court orders EPA to relax air-pollution... 4
- Fed is likely to delay 1st rate hike in... 3
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 3