Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two Salt Lake police motorcycle officers were injured Tuesday when they were hit by a motorist while directing traffic.
The officers, whose names were not immediately released, were taken to a local hospital to be treated for minor injuries, said Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank.
The accident happened just before 1 p.m. at the intersection of 400 West and 400 South. Two motor officers spotted a fire truck that was coming through the intersection with its lights and siren on, so they moved to the middle of the street to block other traffic, Burbank said.
After the fire engine had passed, a woman traveling north on 400 West hit the two officers from the side.
"It looks like an accident, certainly not anything intentional," Burbank said.
There were no initial indications of distracted or impaired driving, he said. For whatever reason, the woman simply didn't see the officers. The woman's name was not immediately released. Potential charges were pending Tuesday.
After the accident, the woman could be seen sitting in the back of a police squad car crying. Burbank talked to the woman before she was taken away for questioning. He said he essentially told her that accidents happen.
"It's a big production when police cars and police vehicles are involved in accidents. It's overwhelming to say the least," he said. "It's an accident and she's very apologetic."
Burbank said the officers suffered scrapes and bruises and other injuries typically associated from being knocked off a motorcycle. But apparently there were no broken bones or other serious internal injuries.
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem could mean...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 23
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 21