Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two Salt Lake police motorcycle officers were injured Tuesday when they were hit by a motorist while directing traffic.
The officers, whose names were not immediately released, were taken to a local hospital to be treated for minor injuries, said Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank.
The accident happened just before 1 p.m. at the intersection of 400 West and 400 South. Two motor officers spotted a fire truck that was coming through the intersection with its lights and siren on, so they moved to the middle of the street to block other traffic, Burbank said.
After the fire engine had passed, a woman traveling north on 400 West hit the two officers from the side.
"It looks like an accident, certainly not anything intentional," Burbank said.
There were no initial indications of distracted or impaired driving, he said. For whatever reason, the woman simply didn't see the officers. The woman's name was not immediately released. Potential charges were pending Tuesday.
After the accident, the woman could be seen sitting in the back of a police squad car crying. Burbank talked to the woman before she was taken away for questioning. He said he essentially told her that accidents happen.
"It's a big production when police cars and police vehicles are involved in accidents. It's overwhelming to say the least," he said. "It's an accident and she's very apologetic."
Burbank said the officers suffered scrapes and bruises and other injuries typically associated from being knocked off a motorcycle. But apparently there were no broken bones or other serious internal injuries.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 77
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 35
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 31
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 24
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22