USU football: junior college transfer and in-state product proud to be an Aggie
Lapuaho said that is just one of many important lessons he has had to learn while being a part of a Division I football program.
“It’s been a learning experience. I’ve grown up a lot and matured a lot. You can’t get away with as much stuff here that you could at junior college,” Lapuaho said. “I’m grateful for it and the opportunity I’ve had to be here. I’m still growing, still learning and I’m happy with what I’ve done.”
Aside from accepting his role as a leader, Lapuaho said he has learned to give his responsibilities both on and off the field complete effort.
“Trust in what you know and give 100 percent, no matter what it is. Follow your responsibilities. You always have to be responsible,” Lapuaho said. “You can’t just go out into the world after football without that.”
This year, Lapuaho has set the goal to be the team leader in sacks. With just one sack on his stat line last season, he has some catching up to do but said he is ready to take on the task.
“Besides that, my real goal is to be consistent. I don’t want to take one snap off and I just want to play with my heart,” Lapuaho said. “I’m going to make smart decisions, decisions that will lie off the field so I can be better on the field. I need to cut out what I don’t need, and I can be better because of that.”
With graduation coming up in May, Lapuaho isn’t sure what is up next for him. What he does know is that he wants football to stay a part of his life, and he’ll do whatever it takes for that to happe, whether it be as a graduate assistant or a coach somewhere.
“I’ve played football since I was nine,” Lapuaho said. “I don’t know what I would do without it.”
After finally reaching his goal to play at Utah State, Lapuaho knows it’s something that will always be with him. It is a legacy he plans to continually build on.
“This is what I do,” Lapuaho said. “An Aggie is what I’m going to be tied to for the rest of my life.”
Megan Allen is in the USU Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 53
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35