USU golf: Tanner Higham named Utah State Student-Athlete of the Week
Utah State golfer Tanner Higham has been named the America First Credit Union Utah State Student-Athlete of the Week for the period ending Sunday, Sept. 16. This is an award voted on by a state-wide media panel.
This is the second time in his career Higham has received USU student-athlete of the week honors.
Higham, a junior from Shelley, Idaho (Shelley HS), recorded his best-ever collegiate finish for the second-straight week after shooting a 6-under 210 to place second at the U.S. Air Force Academy hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational last week.
Higham, who finished three shots behind the medalist winner, recorded Utah State's best individual finish since 2007 when then sophomore Devin Daniels placed second at the WAC Championship. Higham's 6-under 210 (70-70-70) is also USU's best 54-hole score since Daniels carded an 8-under 208 (71-68-69) to place third at the CS Northridge hosted Bill Cullum Invitational during the 2008-09 season.
Utah State finished the Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational in eighth place in the 16-team field with a 19-over 883 (299-297-287).
On the season, Higham has played six rounds and has a scoring average of 70.83.
Utah State golf returns to action Sept. 24-25 when it travels to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Boise State Invitational.
Nominees from other sports for USU Student-Athlete of the Week included:
MEN’S CROSS-COUNTRY – Junior Kyle McKenna (Farmington, Utah) placed second individually at the Montana State Bozeman Running Company Invitational this past weekend with a time of 24:51, leading Utah State to a fourth place team finish.
WOMEN’S CROSS-COUNTRY – Senior Alex Litzsinger (Pocatello, Idaho) led Utah State to a third place team finish after placing second individually last weekend at the Montana State Bozeman Running Company Invitational with a time of 17:19.
FOOTBALL – Sophomore linebacker Zach Vigil (Clearfield, Utah) had seven tackles (4-solo, 3-assist) in Utah State’s 16-14 loss at No. 22 Wisconsin. Among his seven stops were two tackles for loss and his first career sack. He also had two quarterback hurries in the game and forced a fumble.
SOCCER – Junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn (Sandy, Utah) scored Utah State’s only goal in a 1-1 tie against No. 23 Washington last week, marking USU's first-ever tie against a ranked opponent. Flynn scored in the 59th minute to give Utah State the 1-0 lead. Flynn had four shots, two of which were on goal.
2012-13 Utah State Athlete of the Week Winners
Aug. 27 – Josselyn White, Volleyball
Sept. 3 – Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 10 – Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 17 – Tanner Higham, Golf
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- Utah Jazz: 'Hungry' Trey Burke keeping busy...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Pac-12 notebook: Whittingham clarifies...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 99
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32