Mitt Romney collects $2 million during quick Utah fundraising stop
Before the luncheon attended by some 1,100 people, Romney met with several dozen supporters who paid $25,000 each to attend a VIP reception. A number of would-be luncheon guests were turned away at the door because the event was oversold.
The $2 million raised in just about two hours is on top of the $4.8 million Utahns have contributed to Romney's campaign since he announced his second presidential bid last June, according to filings with the Federal Elections Commission.
His campaign allowed Romney’s airport arrival to be covered by the media, but he did not acknowledge reporters or make any public comment other than greeting members of a Boy Scout troop from Cottonwood Heights who met his plane.
Matthew Spurrier, 16, said Romney asked the Scouts their names and had a few of them recite the Scout Oath. Spurrier said he was nervous but managed to remember the words.
“It was an experience to remember,” Spurrier said. “It was cool.”
Romney’s campaign plane landed at the Executive Terminal at the Salt Lake City International Airport before he headed via motorcade to the Grand America Hotel for the two fundraising events.
While Romney’s Utah supporters had been hoping the candidate would make a public appearance during his brief stop, the campaign decided there wasn’t enough time. He has not held an even open to the public without charge in Utah since June 2011.
Romney traveled from California to Utah and was scheduled to campaign later Tuesday in Dallas.
The campaign also kicked off a three-day bus tour of the state Tuesday morning, featuring Republican leaders including Love, Sen. Orrin Hatch, and Utah GOP Chairman Thomas Wright.
The bus was scheduled to make stops at two of Romney’s four call centers in Utah, in Midvale and Logan, as well as at a Staples office supply store in Layton.
Contributing: Julian Reyes
- Trump, Sanders victorious in New Hampshire...
- FBI says it has surrounded last occupiers at...
- Seoul: N. Korean leader Kim had his military...
- Obama sends Congress record $4.1 trillion...
- 2 deputies, suspect dead in suburban shopping...
- But is she honest? Caring? Clinton grapples...
- Apple co-founder is bringing us an even...
- AP Exclusive: Iranian drone first over US...
- Obama sends Congress record $4.1... 26
- Trump, Sanders victorious in New... 22
- Exit polls: Dems trust Sanders more... 18
- But is she honest? Caring? Clinton... 10
- Clinton seeks to cut into Sanders' New... 9
- Debate Takeaways: Rubio shaken, Trump... 8
- For the Clintons, New Hampshire is the... 8
- Obama to release $4 trillion-plus... 7