Mitt Romney collects $2 million during quick Utah fundraising stop
Before the luncheon attended by some 1,100 people, Romney met with several dozen supporters who paid $25,000 each to attend a VIP reception. A number of would-be luncheon guests were turned away at the door because the event was oversold.
The $2 million raised in just about two hours is on top of the $4.8 million Utahns have contributed to Romney's campaign since he announced his second presidential bid last June, according to filings with the Federal Elections Commission.
His campaign allowed Romney’s airport arrival to be covered by the media, but he did not acknowledge reporters or make any public comment other than greeting members of a Boy Scout troop from Cottonwood Heights who met his plane.
Matthew Spurrier, 16, said Romney asked the Scouts their names and had a few of them recite the Scout Oath. Spurrier said he was nervous but managed to remember the words.
“It was an experience to remember,” Spurrier said. “It was cool.”
Romney’s campaign plane landed at the Executive Terminal at the Salt Lake City International Airport before he headed via motorcade to the Grand America Hotel for the two fundraising events.
While Romney’s Utah supporters had been hoping the candidate would make a public appearance during his brief stop, the campaign decided there wasn’t enough time. He has not held an even open to the public without charge in Utah since June 2011.
Romney traveled from California to Utah and was scheduled to campaign later Tuesday in Dallas.
The campaign also kicked off a three-day bus tour of the state Tuesday morning, featuring Republican leaders including Love, Sen. Orrin Hatch, and Utah GOP Chairman Thomas Wright.
The bus was scheduled to make stops at two of Romney’s four call centers in Utah, in Midvale and Logan, as well as at a Staples office supply store in Layton.
Contributing: Julian Reyes
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 25
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Many 8th graders score poorly on US... 11