SALT LAKE CITY — Criminal charges have been filed against two women who prosecutors say tried to hide information from police.
Jessica Reyos, 38, and Brittney Montano, 21, were each charged in 3rd District Court with obstruction. Reyos was charged with a second-degree felony and Montano a third-degree felony. Both charges are in connection to the shooting death of 16-year-old Kenyatta Winston.
The teen's body was found dumped in a vacant lot at 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (2900 South) on Aug. 29. He was last seen alive on Aug. 26 getting in a vehicle with 21-year-old David Angel Montes.
The vehicle was registered to Reyos. On Aug. 29, Salt Lake police interviewed Reyos, but she claimed to not know of Montes. When she was interviewed a second time on Aug. 30, Reyos admitted she knew Montes but was afraid to talk to detectives "for fear of retaliation," according to charging documents.
Reyos admitted to providing police with false information and that she was planning to leave the country, the charges state.
Montes was arrested Saturday by the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team on a warrant charging him with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony. He allegedly told another person that he was present when Kenyatta was killed and helped dispose of his body.
The man accused of pulling the trigger in the killing, Frank Reyos, 30, was arrested Sept. 11 following a chase with police. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder, aggravated assault and fleeing from police. As of Tuesday, he was being held at the Utah State Prison on a parole violation for absconding supervision. He was originally sent to prison on an aggravated robbery conviction. Frank and Jessica Reyos are siblings.
Montano, who was with Frank Reyos when he was arrested, admitted to police she knew he was wanted and was going to go back to prison for a parole violation, the charges state.
Salt Lake police say they have now rounded up all of the suspected parties in Kenyatta's death, but as of Tuesday had still not released a motive for the crime.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16