DSC soccer: men's offense building, women stalled at Dominican (CA)
Teresa Ortiz, Dixie State men's soccer
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. – A regulation soccer net is eight yards wide, but sometimes finding the net is as elusive as discovering the true location of the Loch Ness Monster. Despite posting more shots than the host Penguins, Dixie State College fell to Dominican University of California 2-0 on Monday afternoon.
“It was another good effort especially on offense,” head coach Danny Ortiz said. “We just could not find the back of the net.”
The loss dropped the Red Storm to 1-5 on the year and 0-2 in Pacific West Conference play. Dominican evened their league record to 1-1 while winning for the fourth time in five matches.
“In the midfield, Tyler (Albretsen) played well and Ryan Benevente was solid up front,” Ortiz added.
Dixie State posted 20 shots, led by Jordan Roylance with six and Albretsen with five.
The Red Storm allowed an early 13th minute goal off a corner kick, then allowed a counter 842 S 890 E Orem UT United States goal in the second half.
Tyler Walters faced 11 shots on goal, saving nine.
Halfway through a road trip of the Bay Area, Dixie State next faces Academy of Art on Thursday afternoon at 12 p.m. Mountain (11 a.m Pacific).
WOMEN'S MATCH - Dominican 2, Dixie State 0
The Penguins of Dominican were out shot 19 to 5 but scored one goal in each half to dispatch of the Red Storm 2-0 in Pacific West play.
Kristin Page and Jen Mason combined for seven shots of the team's output.
Dixie State (1-3-2/1-1 PWC) faces the Urban Knights in San Francisco at 2 p.m. Pacific.
John Potter is the "Voice of the Red Storm" and an athletic media relation assistant at Dixie State College. Contact him at Potter@dixie.edu.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44