DSC soccer: men's offense building, women stalled at Dominican (CA)
Teresa Ortiz, Dixie State men's soccer
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. – A regulation soccer net is eight yards wide, but sometimes finding the net is as elusive as discovering the true location of the Loch Ness Monster. Despite posting more shots than the host Penguins, Dixie State College fell to Dominican University of California 2-0 on Monday afternoon.
“It was another good effort especially on offense,” head coach Danny Ortiz said. “We just could not find the back of the net.”
The loss dropped the Red Storm to 1-5 on the year and 0-2 in Pacific West Conference play. Dominican evened their league record to 1-1 while winning for the fourth time in five matches.
“In the midfield, Tyler (Albretsen) played well and Ryan Benevente was solid up front,” Ortiz added.
Dixie State posted 20 shots, led by Jordan Roylance with six and Albretsen with five.
The Red Storm allowed an early 13th minute goal off a corner kick, then allowed a counter 842 S 890 E Orem UT United States goal in the second half.
Tyler Walters faced 11 shots on goal, saving nine.
Halfway through a road trip of the Bay Area, Dixie State next faces Academy of Art on Thursday afternoon at 12 p.m. Mountain (11 a.m Pacific).
WOMEN'S MATCH - Dominican 2, Dixie State 0
The Penguins of Dominican were out shot 19 to 5 but scored one goal in each half to dispatch of the Red Storm 2-0 in Pacific West play.
Kristin Page and Jen Mason combined for seven shots of the team's output.
Dixie State (1-3-2/1-1 PWC) faces the Urban Knights in San Francisco at 2 p.m. Pacific.
John Potter is the "Voice of the Red Storm" and an athletic media relation assistant at Dixie State College. Contact him at Potter@dixie.edu.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33