USU volleyball: Sorensen tabbed WAC Volleyball Player of the Week
Utah State volleyball player Shay Sorensen has been named Western Athletic Conference Volleyball Player of the Week for the week of Sept. 10-16. This is the first-ever WAC Player of the Week honor for Sorensen.
A senior opposite side hitter from North Ogden, Utah, Sorensen averaged 4.30 kills on .296 hitting, 3.30 digs and 0.60 blocks per set in a pair of road wins at UTSA and Texas State. She posted a pair of double-doubles to lead Utah State to its first 2-0 start to WAC action since 2007.
In Thursday’s four-set win over UTSA, Sorensen logged 15 kills and 11 digs, adding a pair of blocks and a service ace. In Saturday’s sweep at Texas State, she tallied a match-high 15 kills on a season-high .353 hitting to go with 12 digs and two blocks.
Sorensen is second in WAC only matches in kills per set (4.29) and points per set (4.71), ranking sixth overall in the WAC in points per set (3.55), as well as ninth in WAC only matches in attack percentage (.296/30-9-70).
This is the first WAC Player of the Week honor for a USU volleyball player since Liz McArthur earned the accolade last season on Oct. 17.
After facing a pair of league newcomers in UTSA and Texas State last week to end their seven-match road swing, the Aggies return home to the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum to host another conference new team, Seattle, on Sept. 20.
Utah State volleyball tickets are available by contacting the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48