Police believe business burglary was carried out by professionals
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Investigators believe a burglary at a strip mall store over the weekend was carried out by professionals.
Sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning, police say someone entered T.J. Maxx, 6995 S. 1300 East, by going through the roof, then disabled the alarm, cut through a wall to reach a safe, somehow managed to open the safe and took an undisclosed amount of money.
"They seemed to have a pretty good knowledge of what they were doing," said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Gary Young.
No alarms were tripped and the burglar, or burglars, were not captured by surveillance video. The burglars also seemed to know exactly where they were going, Young said.
Detectives say it's likely more than one person participated in the well-executed crime. Young said the group gained access to a common area shared by several business of the strip mall by finding an opening on the roof or cutting through it. They then used a power tool, possibly a hand-held cordless saw, to cut through a wall right to where the safe was located inside TJ Maxx, he said.
Young said Monday he was unsure if the burglars drilled through the safe or used another tool, such as a hammer, to open it.
Anyone with information on the burglary is asked to call police at 801-944-7100.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10