Police believe business burglary was carried out by professionals
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Investigators believe a burglary at a strip mall store over the weekend was carried out by professionals.
Sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning, police say someone entered T.J. Maxx, 6995 S. 1300 East, by going through the roof, then disabled the alarm, cut through a wall to reach a safe, somehow managed to open the safe and took an undisclosed amount of money.
"They seemed to have a pretty good knowledge of what they were doing," said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Gary Young.
No alarms were tripped and the burglar, or burglars, were not captured by surveillance video. The burglars also seemed to know exactly where they were going, Young said.
Detectives say it's likely more than one person participated in the well-executed crime. Young said the group gained access to a common area shared by several business of the strip mall by finding an opening on the roof or cutting through it. They then used a power tool, possibly a hand-held cordless saw, to cut through a wall right to where the safe was located inside TJ Maxx, he said.
Young said Monday he was unsure if the burglars drilled through the safe or used another tool, such as a hammer, to open it.
Anyone with information on the burglary is asked to call police at 801-944-7100.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15