Crews hope to contain West Lake Fire by Monday night
PAYSON — A 350-acre wildfire burning west of Payson near Utah Lake likely was ignited by target shooters, officials said.
The West Lake Fire, which started Saturday, was 25 percent contained at 7 p.m. Sunday, said Cami Lee, spokeswoman for Bureau of Land Management. Crews hope to have it completely contained by 8 p.m. Monday.
No structures are threatened, but there are communication repeater towers nearby and an observatory located above the area. Lee said crews were keeping a close watch on the observatory in case the fire moved closer.
The 35-person crew is focusing on an airborne attack, which is proving successful, Lee said.
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 108
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 96
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 42
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 31
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17