SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of witnessing the murder of a 16-year-old boy and then helping dump his body was arrested Saturday.
David Angel Montes, 21, was arrested two days after Salt Lake City police issued a warrant for his arrest. Montes was charged in 3rd District Court with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.
Montes told another person, whose identity police are not revealing, "that he was present when Kenyatta (Winston) was killed and that he assisted in getting rid of the body and dumping it," the charges state.
Montes is the eighth person Salt Lake City police have sought for questioning in connection with Winston's death. The teen's body was found dumped in a vacant lot at 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (2900 South) on Aug. 29. Winston died from a gunshot wound.
Right after Winston's body was found, police announced they were looking for 33-year-old Natasha Alvarado, calling her a potential "key witness." She was found and questioned.
Tuesday night, following a chase with police, Frank Reyos, 30, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder, aggravated assault and fleeing from police. Jessica Reyos, 38, Frank's sister, and Brittney Montano, 21, were booked for investigation of obstruction of justice.
Police also have questioned Camille Lopez, 20, and Stephon Evans, 21, in connection with the case. They both surrendered to police on Wednesday.
Detectives also said they were looking for Shelby Reed, 19, for questioning. Her attorney told police Wednesday that she needed to care for a newborn baby and was not going to comply with the request of police.
Thursday, investigators announced they had found Reed and had taken her in for questioning. Reed is Frank Reyos' niece and Jessica Reyos' daughter.
Winston was last seen in a 2010 silver Dodge Nitro with Montes, according to court documents. The owner of the vehicle, Jessica Reyos, said she loaned it to Montes on Aug. 26, the last time Winston's father said he saw his son alive.
Investigators found blood spatter evidence inside the vehicle, the arrest warrant states.
As of Saturday, police had not publicly discussed a possible motive in the teen's death.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 125
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19