SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of witnessing the murder of a 16-year-old boy and then helping dump his body was arrested Saturday.
David Angel Montes, 21, was arrested two days after Salt Lake City police issued a warrant for his arrest. Montes was charged in 3rd District Court with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.
Montes told another person, whose identity police are not revealing, "that he was present when Kenyatta (Winston) was killed and that he assisted in getting rid of the body and dumping it," the charges state.
Montes is the eighth person Salt Lake City police have sought for questioning in connection with Winston's death. The teen's body was found dumped in a vacant lot at 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (2900 South) on Aug. 29. Winston died from a gunshot wound.
Right after Winston's body was found, police announced they were looking for 33-year-old Natasha Alvarado, calling her a potential "key witness." She was found and questioned.
Tuesday night, following a chase with police, Frank Reyos, 30, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder, aggravated assault and fleeing from police. Jessica Reyos, 38, Frank's sister, and Brittney Montano, 21, were booked for investigation of obstruction of justice.
Police also have questioned Camille Lopez, 20, and Stephon Evans, 21, in connection with the case. They both surrendered to police on Wednesday.
Detectives also said they were looking for Shelby Reed, 19, for questioning. Her attorney told police Wednesday that she needed to care for a newborn baby and was not going to comply with the request of police.
Thursday, investigators announced they had found Reed and had taken her in for questioning. Reed is Frank Reyos' niece and Jessica Reyos' daughter.
Winston was last seen in a 2010 silver Dodge Nitro with Montes, according to court documents. The owner of the vehicle, Jessica Reyos, said she loaned it to Montes on Aug. 26, the last time Winston's father said he saw his son alive.
Investigators found blood spatter evidence inside the vehicle, the arrest warrant states.
As of Saturday, police had not publicly discussed a possible motive in the teen's death.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9