Westminster soccer: Second half goal leads men's soccer to victory
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men's soccer team used a goal in the 77th minute to take a 2-1 win over York College (Neb.) Friday afternoon at Dumke Field.
Westminster (4-2-1) would take the lead early in the game as Gabe Gonzalez fired a shot into the goal in the ninth minute. The first goal of the season came on a shot from 20 yards out that was set-up with a nice ball played by Ryan Smith for his third assist of the year.
The Griffins would maintain the 1-0 lead until the 27th minute when York (2-5-1) took advantage of a Westminster foul. The ensuing free kick saw Luis Arevalo tap the ball to Marcelo Souza, who then proceeded to fire a shot from 35 yards out and into the goal to level the game at 1-1.
Westminster would create several chances over the next 50 minutes and eventually struck in the 77th minute. Liam Harry carried the ball down the right side and sent a cross into the box that found the foot of Smith and then the back of the net. The game-winner would mark the fourth tally of the season for Smith and his second winner, while Harry picked up his first assist on the play.
The score wasn't quite reflective of the game as Westminster finished the afternoon with a 28-2 edge in shots attempted. The Griffins put nine shots on frame and were also awarded eight corner kicks. Smith led the team with five shots and three on goal. Gonzalez and Blaze Nelson attempted four shots apiece, and Harry had three. Damir Sabanovic picked up his third win of the season in goal.
Westminster will return to action Sunday when it faces Arizona Christian at Dumke Field. The game is slated for a noon first kick.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44