JustFamily board member Christopher Lee, who is also publisher of the Deseret News, says DDM has invested because it sees a gap in social media.
"LinkedIn exists for business associates, Facebook exists for friends, but no one has cracked the code for families," Lee said.
JustFamily launched both its Web-based social network and a mobile IOS app recently.
Quigley has a track record that includes consulting work, previous tech start-ups, a software company and, more recently, a four-year stint as CEO of LiveTV, a JetBlue subsidiary that put movies and TV shows on the backs of seats in airplanes.
It's that entrepreneurial track record that attracted Jared Stone of Northgate Capital as an investor. He told the Wall Street Journal recently that he doesn't usually make angel investments, but he wanted to work with Quigley.
"JustFamily is making it simple and intuitive to capture and share moments, just with family and keep them forever," he told WSJ. "If any group of people in our lives feels like it should and could be forever, it is our families."
He predicted JustFamily will complement, rather than compete with networks like Facebook.
There's a rest of the story to the recording of "Home on the Range." Quigley's extended family had been using an early prototype of the family networking site, scanning and sharing old photos and digitized versions of old reel-to-reels that had their grandpa's beloved voice. It wasn't the lullaby, but it mattered.
Eventually, the recording of the song was found, too. And up it went on JustFamily, so the entire family could enjoy it and pass it on.
"I'll never forget how I felt the night I gathered our kids around the computer on the other side of the country and clicked play," he wrote on a JustFamily blog. "I just loved that my kids were able to hear Grandpa sing 'The Cowboy Song' while they looked at a picture of him in his Forest Ranger uniform. I loved knowing that all of their cousins and all of my cousins could now remember Grandpa this way, too."
See the Just Family site at: www.justfamily.com
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: Loisco
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- The Clean Cut: Children identify mom without...
- 11-year-old girl honors sick grandfather by...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 18
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- Does an American child really go... 2
- 1 in 7 Americans has this kind of marriage 2
- Utah mother uses personal tragedy to... 1