Stephen Holt, Deseret News
Identity theft was reported the most among those ages 20-29 in 2010, according to the Federal Trade Commission.
Out of the identity theft complaints recorded, 28 percent of victims didn’t report the incident to police.
Shundra Jackson, a resident of Atlanta, learned she was a victim of identity theft in 2008 when her job threatened to garnish her wages for failure to pay on credit cards she didn't even know about, according to reuters.com.
"It never crossed my mind to check my credit report because I knew nothing would be on it," Jackson told Reuters.
If a student becomes a victim of identity theft, they should get in touch with their bank, credit card companies and the main credit reporting bureaus, Bob Welther, assistant vice president of risk consulting at ACE Private Risk, told Reuters.
It is also a good idea to notify law enforcement so that an official record is kept for future reference, Adam Levin, chairman of Identity Theft 911, told Reuters.
When parents need to send money to students, they should do so through a secure bank account, Welther told Reuters.
Measures to prevent identity theft in college include not storing sensitive documents in shared living spaces, enabling password protection on devices that hold personal information and taking caution when sharing information through social media, said Mitch Lipka in a Reuters column.
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in Moab...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 10
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in... 7
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal 6
- Twitter tries to block images of James... 4
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Facebook makes the most obvious move... 2