U. marksman Alexis Lagan sets her sights on 2016 Olympics
"I want to be able to beat myself and that is the main thing in these competitions," she said. "It is not so much that I won or I lost, it is more that I beat myself."
Lagan currently considers shooting her part-time job. She spends about 30 hours a week practicing her craft in rapid fire and standard shooting.
In a sport where winning is separated by tenths of a point, Lagan knows that she has her work cut out for her if she ever wants to reach the Olympics.
She is currently ranked No. 38 nationally in U.S. shooting out of 167.
As for her chances of making the Olympic team, her coach said it is far too early to tell because she has only been competing for one year. In his experience, it takes 12 years of training to reach the Olympic level.
The Boulder City native has had a rifle in her hands since she was 8 years old and through the years has competed in small events. She said she didn't find her competitive spirit until she arrived at the U.
Lagan and the student-generated club are looking to win several All-American titles this year, but in order for her to improve her shooting, she needs to start competing in other events outside the school.
"I would like to start traveling more to see what I am up against," she said. "Nationally, I want to be able to take a few more seminars. I love being coached here, but I want to be able to take a little more coaching classes."
After the 2013 Junior Olympics, Lagan will set her sights on the 2014 Women's World Championships in Granada and then the main goal, the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling on...
- Living — or dying — with...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 203
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 88
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 86
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 63
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 55
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 40
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35