"I want to be able to beat myself and that is the main thing in these competitions," she said. "It is not so much that I won or I lost, it is more that I beat myself."
Lagan currently considers shooting her part-time job. She spends about 30 hours a week practicing her craft in rapid fire and standard shooting.
In a sport where winning is separated by tenths of a point, Lagan knows that she has her work cut out for her if she ever wants to reach the Olympics.
She is currently ranked No. 38 nationally in U.S. shooting out of 167.
As for her chances of making the Olympic team, her coach said it is far too early to tell because she has only been competing for one year. In his experience, it takes 12 years of training to reach the Olympic level.
The Boulder City native has had a rifle in her hands since she was 8 years old and through the years has competed in small events. She said she didn't find her competitive spirit until she arrived at the U.
Lagan and the student-generated club are looking to win several All-American titles this year, but in order for her to improve her shooting, she needs to start competing in other events outside the school.
"I would like to start traveling more to see what I am up against," she said. "Nationally, I want to be able to take a few more seminars. I love being coached here, but I want to be able to take a little more coaching classes."
After the 2013 Junior Olympics, Lagan will set her sights on the 2014 Women's World Championships in Granada and then the main goal, the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Man charged with attempted murder in Ogden...
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 28
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- New York English teacher assigns... 17