A creamy and flavorful pasta that is the perfect comfort meal
As I was getting ready to head out the door to work, my husband noticed that I still had the size sticker stuck on my blouse. I would have been relieved that he caught it — except that I had worn the blouse before.
Years ago, I would have been horrified by this, but now I’m at an age in which I pick my freak-outs carefully. This same rule goes for cooking. I refuse to make anything that could stress me out. I want to take my time and enjoy the experience. That is why I cook. I love to savor the scents and colors of everything coming together perfectly.
My pasta carbonara is a wonderful blend of creamy sauce and spicy kick. There are few ingredients, but the flavors are a perfect combination.
The sauce is a mixture of cream, eggs and Parmesan cheese. This combined with the spice of red pepper flakes and smoky bacon makes this dish hard to resist.
Belle’s Pasta Carbonara
½ pound spaghetti noodles (cooked and drained and tossed with butter to keep from sticking)
¾ cup half and half cream (fat-free works great)
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup real bacon bits (the kind in the bag works great)
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, blend together the cream, red pepper flakes and bacon. Simmer over low until hot. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and seasonings. Blend in the cheese. Add the egg and cheese mixture to saucepan and mix together. Add noodles and toss. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese on top.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- U.S. kids react — hilariously —...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- The Clean Cut: Children taste dark chocolate...
- UTubers: Al Fox Carraway talks about...
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9
- Parents using infertility treatment to... 7
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 5
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 3