A creamy and flavorful pasta that is the perfect comfort meal
As I was getting ready to head out the door to work, my husband noticed that I still had the size sticker stuck on my blouse. I would have been relieved that he caught it — except that I had worn the blouse before.
Years ago, I would have been horrified by this, but now I’m at an age in which I pick my freak-outs carefully. This same rule goes for cooking. I refuse to make anything that could stress me out. I want to take my time and enjoy the experience. That is why I cook. I love to savor the scents and colors of everything coming together perfectly.
My pasta carbonara is a wonderful blend of creamy sauce and spicy kick. There are few ingredients, but the flavors are a perfect combination.
The sauce is a mixture of cream, eggs and Parmesan cheese. This combined with the spice of red pepper flakes and smoky bacon makes this dish hard to resist.
Belle’s Pasta Carbonara
½ pound spaghetti noodles (cooked and drained and tossed with butter to keep from sticking)
¾ cup half and half cream (fat-free works great)
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup real bacon bits (the kind in the bag works great)
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, blend together the cream, red pepper flakes and bacon. Simmer over low until hot. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and seasonings. Blend in the cheese. Add the egg and cheese mixture to saucepan and mix together. Add noodles and toss. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese on top.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup from...
- 12 Disney movies that are coming out in 2015
- Top honeymoon destinations for 2015
- Motherhood Matters: What I learned from...
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 12
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup... 11
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos... 5
- Family motto helps LDS couple put... 5
- Sherry Young: Nostalgia, airplanes and... 4
- Motherhood Matters: To grouchy moms... 4
- Does taking advantage of family leave... 4
- Dad gets 'no-show' bill after... 3