A creamy and flavorful pasta that is the perfect comfort meal
As I was getting ready to head out the door to work, my husband noticed that I still had the size sticker stuck on my blouse. I would have been relieved that he caught it — except that I had worn the blouse before.
Years ago, I would have been horrified by this, but now I’m at an age in which I pick my freak-outs carefully. This same rule goes for cooking. I refuse to make anything that could stress me out. I want to take my time and enjoy the experience. That is why I cook. I love to savor the scents and colors of everything coming together perfectly.
My pasta carbonara is a wonderful blend of creamy sauce and spicy kick. There are few ingredients, but the flavors are a perfect combination.
The sauce is a mixture of cream, eggs and Parmesan cheese. This combined with the spice of red pepper flakes and smoky bacon makes this dish hard to resist.
Belle’s Pasta Carbonara
½ pound spaghetti noodles (cooked and drained and tossed with butter to keep from sticking)
¾ cup half and half cream (fat-free works great)
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup real bacon bits (the kind in the bag works great)
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, blend together the cream, red pepper flakes and bacon. Simmer over low until hot. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and seasonings. Blend in the cheese. Add the egg and cheese mixture to saucepan and mix together. Add noodles and toss. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese on top.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Family walks from Disneyland to Disney World...
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video with The...
- The Clean Cut: 'Kid History' stars create...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 TV mothers you wish were your own
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 6
- Parents, do your kids trust the... 5
- Britain's new princess can't expect... 4
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video... 4
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,... 3
- The little-known benefit to cleaning... 2
- One thing parents are more worried... 2