Derek Petersen, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A group of students walking to school spotted the body of a West Valley man in a canal Friday.
The man was identified as Richard Anthony Byrd, 43. West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell said an autopsy will be key in determining a cause of death. He estimated the man had been dead for 24 hours or less when his body was found.
Just before 7 a.m., a group of juveniles were being walked to school by an adult when they spotted the body in the canal near 5800 South and 4100 West. Police were contacted, and a dive team was dispatched, Powell said.
The dive team found the body partially submerged in the water and caught on debris, he said.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 62
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12