HILL AIR FORCE BASE — Three community leaders were recently recognized with the Wingman Award for their support to the Hill Air Force Base community.
Peter Jenks, Brian Garrett and Steve Curtis received the award, given annually to people in the community whose actions are consistently above and beyond in support of HAFB, according to a press release.
Jenks has been the Utah Defense Alliance president and currently sits as a member of the board. He actively works to preserve and increase HAFB missions by safeguarding base interests during congressional base realignment and closure proceedings. He championed F-35 future fighter aircraft operations and expansion, providing significant job growth capability.
Garrett's roles as a banker with Zions Bank’s Military Affairs Department and as the chairman of the Top of Utah Military Affairs Committee, have enhanced the working relationship between the committee and the base. He also vice chairs the Salt Lake Chamber Military Affairs Committee where he has worked to help the Salt Lake business community become more aware of the issues and programs at HAFB.
Curtis, the mayor of Layton, is a member of the Military Affairs Committee, the Utah Defense Alliance Committee, a former honorary commander in the 388th Fighter Wing, “LOGSTAR” honorary commander in the 75th Air Base Wing and a Falcon alumni member in the 388th Fighter Wing. He brings value-added community support and contributions to all of Hill Air Force Base.
Curtis has been a critical voice of support within the Council of Governments (Davis County mayors and commissioners) in relation to the basing of the F-35s at Hill.
The Wingman Award recipients were honored with a medal and personalized portrait, which will be displayed in the Hill Aerospace Museum.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- Bingham High students walk out over... 45
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 20
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18