Orem motorcycle passenger killed by suspected DUI driver
Todd R. Johnson
LINDON — An Orem man was killed and a Spanish Fork man critically injured after a suspected drunken driver ran into the back of a motorcycle.
Just after midnight., a vehicle rear-ended a motorcycle with a driver and passenger on I-15 near Lindon. Both riders of the motorcycle were thrown from the bike as it fell. The passenger, Juan Ernesto Salazar Conce, 31, of Orem, was run over by multiple vehicles and was killed at the scene, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The motorcycle driver, Irving Tellez Acevedo, 23, of Spanish Fork, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. Both riders of the motorcycle were wearing helmets.
The driver of the car, Tyler Young, 27, of Provo, was not injured. He was arrested for investigation of DUI and automobile homicide.
"It looks like we just have a speeding driver that may be impaired who hit the motorcycle," said UHP Lt. Rich Christianson.
Prescription pill bottles and evidence of alcohol use were found in the suspect's vehicle, he said.
According to Utah court records, Young was convicted in 2006 of intent to distribute drugs as well as theft by deception in a separate case and unlawful possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor that same year.
He was found guilty of misdemeanor drug possession twice in 2007 and once more in 2008, according to court records.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17