Blue roundup: USA Today says BYU's independence comes with a price
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
USA Today reports that "BYU could find independence comes with a big price."
The Cougars' independent status is being re-examined this week after Notre Dame's decision to move their sports — except for football — to the Atlantic Coast Conference.
"I wouldn't presume to know what they're thinking at BYU," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told USA Today. "But I think it is harder than ever to be an independent. I think it's very difficult, and the fact that even Notre Dame struggles with it is testimony to the difficulty of it."
"BYU will win if The Cougars get pressure on the Utes' offensive line and shut down the running lanes for John White IV," writes Bryan Fischer. "With Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn's career over, it's up to senior Jon Hays or true freshman Travis Wilson to run the offense that stalled out frequently in the loss to Utah State last week. The Cougars have looked sharp on defense in their first two contests and are fourth in the country in sacks early in the season. This is a rivalry game. Things tend to not go the way coaches want so sound defense with an offense that is mostly balanced should be able to power BYU to victory."
Tonight, on the eve of the big rivalry game against Utah, BYU will hold a fireside at 7 p.m. at Assembly Hall at Temple Square in Salt Lake City.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37