Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah – A late goal from Jaime Lyons pushed the game into overtime, but the Utah Valley University soccer team came up short in overtime, losing 2-1 to Idaho State Thursday night at Clyde Field.
"I thought our team showed a lot of maturity tonight," UVU head soccer coach Brent Anderson said. "The girls were focused and we did some really good things in the attack and in the midfield. We executed our game plan as well as we have all season, we've just got to find a way to finish these games late."
ISU (5-3-0) held a 1-0 lead late in the second half behind Anna Pingree's 55th minute goal. With full time approaching, UVU (1-5-1) launched into desperation mode, sending waves of players forward after the tying goal.
A few chances came up empty before a lofted through pass from the Wolverine midfield dropped into no-man's land between the goal and the UVU forwards. Bengal goalkeeper Maria Dela Cruz charged to the top of the box after the ball, colliding into the onrush of Wolverines. The collision squirted the ball to an open Lyons, who coolly lifted her shot from 25 yards into the empty net for the tying goal at 87:40.
The goal was the first for the senior of the 2012 season.
Faced with overtime for the fourth time in the last five games, UVU controlled much of the early possession in the extra frame. But ISU took advantage of its lone opportunity in the overtime when Madeline Gochnour played Amanda Ellsworth into a counterattack opportunity from the midfield. Ellsworth then found Rachel Strawn on the right side of the field. The Big Sky Conference leading scorer hit a low, left-footed shot into the lower right corner for her seventh goal of the year.
UVU kicks off a six-game road swing this weekend with a visit to Mountain West member Wyoming on Sunday. The Cowgirls are 6-2 and faced Colorado of the Pac-12 on Thursday night. The Wolverines are 0-4-0 all-time against UW.
"Playing on the road can galvanize your team and force you to focus," Anderson said. "We're definitely looking to make the most of these road games and come away a better team."
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47