Greg Peterson wants bail reduced in rape, kidnapping cases
SALT LAKE CITY — Attorneys for Greg Peterson say the bail increase levied against their client violates state law.
Peterson and his lawyers recently filed a supplemental memorandum in support of their motion to have his bail reduced to its original dollar amount.
Following a two-day preliminary hearing in August, 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton ordered the 37-year-old GOP activist to stand trial on 25 charges, including 23 felonies. Peterson is accused of raping or assaulting and kidnapping women he met online or at church functions.
At the end of the hearing, Atherton asked prosecutors if they wanted the bail raised. They agreed, and bail for Peterson raised from $750,000 to $2 million.
A week later, defense attorneys filed a motion to have his bail reduced. In their supplemental memorandum filed last week, defense attorneys argued that "there is no statutory authority for a court to modify bail on its own motion."
And even if the judge could do that, Peterson was not notified of a hearing to increase his bail as required by state law, defense attorneys argued in court documents.
Peterson's next court hearing is scheduled for Nov. 2. He is also charged in a separate case with a single count of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony, in 4th District Court. An evidence hearing on that case is scheduled for Oct. 10.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18