Greg Peterson wants bail reduced in rape, kidnapping cases
SALT LAKE CITY — Attorneys for Greg Peterson say the bail increase levied against their client violates state law.
Peterson and his lawyers recently filed a supplemental memorandum in support of their motion to have his bail reduced to its original dollar amount.
Following a two-day preliminary hearing in August, 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton ordered the 37-year-old GOP activist to stand trial on 25 charges, including 23 felonies. Peterson is accused of raping or assaulting and kidnapping women he met online or at church functions.
At the end of the hearing, Atherton asked prosecutors if they wanted the bail raised. They agreed, and bail for Peterson raised from $750,000 to $2 million.
A week later, defense attorneys filed a motion to have his bail reduced. In their supplemental memorandum filed last week, defense attorneys argued that "there is no statutory authority for a court to modify bail on its own motion."
And even if the judge could do that, Peterson was not notified of a hearing to increase his bail as required by state law, defense attorneys argued in court documents.
Peterson's next court hearing is scheduled for Nov. 2. He is also charged in a separate case with a single count of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony, in 4th District Court. An evidence hearing on that case is scheduled for Oct. 10.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Utah officials find no pesticide violation...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 8