Greg Peterson wants bail reduced in rape, kidnapping cases
SALT LAKE CITY — Attorneys for Greg Peterson say the bail increase levied against their client violates state law.
Peterson and his lawyers recently filed a supplemental memorandum in support of their motion to have his bail reduced to its original dollar amount.
Following a two-day preliminary hearing in August, 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton ordered the 37-year-old GOP activist to stand trial on 25 charges, including 23 felonies. Peterson is accused of raping or assaulting and kidnapping women he met online or at church functions.
At the end of the hearing, Atherton asked prosecutors if they wanted the bail raised. They agreed, and bail for Peterson raised from $750,000 to $2 million.
A week later, defense attorneys filed a motion to have his bail reduced. In their supplemental memorandum filed last week, defense attorneys argued that "there is no statutory authority for a court to modify bail on its own motion."
And even if the judge could do that, Peterson was not notified of a hearing to increase his bail as required by state law, defense attorneys argued in court documents.
Peterson's next court hearing is scheduled for Nov. 2. He is also charged in a separate case with a single count of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony, in 4th District Court. An evidence hearing on that case is scheduled for Oct. 10.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Photos: World record potentially set during...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Argument leads to fatal stabbing of Holladay...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 31
- Federal government extends same-sex... 25
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 22
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21