Handgun in death of 2-year-old in Springville was not police weapon
Steve Landeen, Deseret News
SPRINGVILLE — The Utah County Attorney's Office confirmed Thursday that the 2-year-old son of a Springville police officer did not shoot himself with his father's service weapon.
The toddler died Tuesday from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The shooting occurred in the boy's house about noon. Both of the child's parents were home at the time, said Tim Taylor, chief deputy with the Utah County Attorney's Office. The family reportedly has one other young boy, older than his brother.
The Utah County Attorney's Office is investigating the incident, but Taylor said that didn't automatically mean charges would be filed.
"We're treating the case like any other case," he said. "We're trying to figure out what happened."
The incident was being treated as an accidental shooting, Taylor said. The weapon used in the shooting was a handgun but not the officer's service weapon, he said. Details about where the boy found the gun were part of the ongoing investigation. Taylor said Wednesday the boy found a gun "that was just sitting there."
Neither the boy's name nor his father's name have been released. Funeral arrangements had also not been announced. The boy's mother is a part-time Springville City employee.
Springville police released a statement Wednesday saying, "The family, including all of Springville City's employees, ask for your prayers on behalf of this young family."
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13