Steve Landeen, Deseret News
SPRINGVILLE — The Utah County Attorney's Office confirmed Thursday that the 2-year-old son of a Springville police officer did not shoot himself with his father's service weapon.
The toddler died Tuesday from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The shooting occurred in the boy's house about noon. Both of the child's parents were home at the time, said Tim Taylor, chief deputy with the Utah County Attorney's Office. The family reportedly has one other young boy, older than his brother.
The Utah County Attorney's Office is investigating the incident, but Taylor said that didn't automatically mean charges would be filed.
"We're treating the case like any other case," he said. "We're trying to figure out what happened."
The incident was being treated as an accidental shooting, Taylor said. The weapon used in the shooting was a handgun but not the officer's service weapon, he said. Details about where the boy found the gun were part of the ongoing investigation. Taylor said Wednesday the boy found a gun "that was just sitting there."
Neither the boy's name nor his father's name have been released. Funeral arrangements had also not been announced. The boy's mother is a part-time Springville City employee.
Springville police released a statement Wednesday saying, "The family, including all of Springville City's employees, ask for your prayers on behalf of this young family."
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17