Handgun in death of 2-year-old in Springville was not police weapon
Steve Landeen, Deseret News
SPRINGVILLE — The Utah County Attorney's Office confirmed Thursday that the 2-year-old son of a Springville police officer did not shoot himself with his father's service weapon.
The toddler died Tuesday from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The shooting occurred in the boy's house about noon. Both of the child's parents were home at the time, said Tim Taylor, chief deputy with the Utah County Attorney's Office. The family reportedly has one other young boy, older than his brother.
The Utah County Attorney's Office is investigating the incident, but Taylor said that didn't automatically mean charges would be filed.
"We're treating the case like any other case," he said. "We're trying to figure out what happened."
The incident was being treated as an accidental shooting, Taylor said. The weapon used in the shooting was a handgun but not the officer's service weapon, he said. Details about where the boy found the gun were part of the ongoing investigation. Taylor said Wednesday the boy found a gun "that was just sitting there."
Neither the boy's name nor his father's name have been released. Funeral arrangements had also not been announced. The boy's mother is a part-time Springville City employee.
Springville police released a statement Wednesday saying, "The family, including all of Springville City's employees, ask for your prayers on behalf of this young family."
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14