Governor, Salt Lake County mayor debates set for Friday
SALT LAKE CITY — GOP Gov. Gary Herbert will face off in a debate with his Democratic opponent, Peter Cooke, for the first time Friday.
The hourlong debate, sponsored by the Utah League of Cities and Towns, is set to start at 9 a.m. and will be broadcast live on KSL NewsRadio. The radio station's Doug Wright will moderate the debate.
Topics are expected to include transportation funding, state budget priorities, private property rights, economic development and alcohol policy.
The group is also sponsoring a debate Friday between the candidates in the Salt Lake County mayor's race, Democrat Ben McAdams and Republican Mark Crockett. That debate is scheduled from 8:20 to 8:55 a.m. and will also be moderated by Wright.
The debates will be conducted at the Sheraton Salt Lake City hotel, 150 W. 500 South.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17