Blue roundup: Holly Mendenhall, sons will make bike trek to Boise for good cause
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU has announced that coach Bronco Mendenhall's wife, Holly, and her sons, will make a 460-mile bike ride from Provo to Boise — where the Cougars will play Boise State next Thursday — to honor families that are struggling with challenges. Former players will also make the ride.
"The BYU football program, later coupled with the Holly and Bronco Mendenhall Foundation, arranges for the families to attend Thursday’s football practice prior to every game," according to a news release provided by BYU. "After practice, the team presents the family with gifts and autographed memorabilia as a token of appreciation for the strength they had proven in adversity. Since 2007 there have been more than 100 such heroes honored by the foundation. On Sept. 17, a group of these Heroes, along with Holly Mendenhall, her three sons, and former BYU players, will assemble at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah, to begin a historic bike ride to Boise, Idaho."
Just days before the big rivalry game against Utah, Mendenhall held his weekly KSL radio show. Among other things, Mendenhall addressed Rivalry Week, Notre Dame's decision to move all of its sports but football into the ACC, and, of course, the game itself.
BYU graduate Kent Haslam has been promoted to the position of athletic director at the University of Montana.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20