Blue roundup: Holly Mendenhall, sons will make bike trek to Boise for good cause
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU has announced that coach Bronco Mendenhall's wife, Holly, and her sons, will make a 460-mile bike ride from Provo to Boise — where the Cougars will play Boise State next Thursday — to honor families that are struggling with challenges. Former players will also make the ride.
"The BYU football program, later coupled with the Holly and Bronco Mendenhall Foundation, arranges for the families to attend Thursday’s football practice prior to every game," according to a news release provided by BYU. "After practice, the team presents the family with gifts and autographed memorabilia as a token of appreciation for the strength they had proven in adversity. Since 2007 there have been more than 100 such heroes honored by the foundation. On Sept. 17, a group of these Heroes, along with Holly Mendenhall, her three sons, and former BYU players, will assemble at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah, to begin a historic bike ride to Boise, Idaho."
Just days before the big rivalry game against Utah, Mendenhall held his weekly KSL radio show. Among other things, Mendenhall addressed Rivalry Week, Notre Dame's decision to move all of its sports but football into the ACC, and, of course, the game itself.
BYU graduate Kent Haslam has been promoted to the position of athletic director at the University of Montana.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 171
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 36
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26