Robert Millet's latest book is 'Coming to Know Christ'
"COMING TO KNOW CHRIST," by Robert L. Millet, Deseret Book, $18.99, 186 pages (nf)
Getting up the courage to bear his testimony in sacrament meeting for the first time, a 16-year-old Robert L. Millet made his way to the stand, looked out over the congregation, opened his mouth to speak and simply cried.
Although not something a 16-year-old enjoys doing, as Millet points out, the feelings he remembers at that moment were poignant, feelings of the truth of his belief of the gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Sharing a few stories from his life, Millet's book addresses what it means to come to know Jesus Christ and understand his love for us by getting to know him better.
With the use of personal experiences and scripture, Millet shares insights on doctrine and explains how we can better come to know Christ. Among other topics, Millet explains, in his own words, what it means to align our will with God's and to find peace in Jesus Christ.
"We live in a telestial world today, one in which ugliness, deceit, indifference and cynicism surround us. It would be too easy for us to give in, agree with the masses, and be led captive by voices that beckon us to follow them into despair," he writes. "But apostles and prophets of our day have told us there's a better way, a clearer picture, a more abundant life to be found. Peace can come to us in this troubled world only through looking to the Lord Jesus Christ and yielding our hearts unto him."
Millet is a professor of ancient scripture and emeritus dean of religious education at BYU. He taught in LDS seminaries and institutes before joining the BYU faculty in 1983.
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- 'Jesus the Christ Study Guide' commemorates...
- Temple Square hosts New Year's EVE events
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Live nativity attracts more than 3,500 in...
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 20
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 19
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 14
- This is what going to church does to you 9
- Wright Words: My friend David is... 7
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 6
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas... 5
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 5