USU women's soccer: Aggies host No. 23 Washington on Thursday
Returning home after three-straight matches on the road, the Utah State soccer team will face a tough test against No. 23 Washington at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field on Thursday, Sept. 13, at 4 p.m.
The Aggies hold a 5-1-2 record, coming off a 1-0-1 mark at the Viking Classic hosted by Portland State. Senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford earned both Western Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week honors and Viking Classic Defensive MVP honors last week after posting two-straight shutouts.
Offensively, sophomore forward Jade Tarver scored the Aggies only goal of the weekend with the game-winning goal against Eastern Washington on Sept. 7.
This is the second time Utah State has taken on Washington when the Huskies were ranked, falling to UW 2-0 in 2009 when it was ranked No. 25. The Aggies are looking for their first-ever win against a ranked opponent. Last season, USU lost to No. 2 Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Okla., 3-0. In 2010, Utah State faced two ranked teams in No. 24 Long Beach State and No. 8 BYU, falling to both teams. In 2009, the Aggies once again played two ranked teams, No. 20 Oklahoma State and No. 18 BYU.
Washington holds a 2-0-0 record over Utah State. The last time the two teams met was in 2009 when the No. 25-ranked Huskies defeated the Aggies, 2-0, in Seattle. In the first meeting in 2001, Washington stopped Utah State, 4-1, in Logan.
In its last meeting, the No. 23 Washington blanked one of the best programs in the nation, the 2010 National Champion, Notre Dame, 3-0.
Washington improved to 7-0-0 on the year, tying its best start since 2008. It is the second best start in school history where head coach Lesle Gallimore’s team went 8-0 that year.
GameTracker is available and can be accessed through the USU athletics website. Admission to Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field is free.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30