Chicago teachers’ strike engulfs national media, presidential candidates
Sitthixay Ditthavong, ASSOCIATED PRESS
A massive teachers’ strike in the Chicago public schools entered its third day Wednesday — leaving 350,000 schoolchildren with no classes to attend. Columnists from a wide swath of media platforms employed uncommonly potent language in analyzing the ongoing standoff between Windy City Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the teachers union, as this sampling of op-ed headlines illustrates:
New York Times: Chicago Teachers’ Folly
Fox News: Chicago's striking teachers fail us all
The Hill: The teachers union commits suicide
Presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Barack Obama are employing radically different approaches to the Chicago teachers’ strike. The Republican nominee, Romney, strongly denounced the strike Monday in a statement that concluded, “Teachers unions have too often made plain that their interests conflict with those of our children, and today we are seeing one of the clearest examples yet.”
But President Obama is navigating a virtual minefield with this strike given his competing loyalties to teachers unions on the one hand and, on the other, Emanuel — his close confidant and former chief of staff. On Wednesday, syndicated columnist Dale McFeatters outlined Obama’s conundrum: “There's little President Barack Obama can do about (the strike) except walk a fine line between the teachers' unions, among his strongest supporters, and his education reforms — some of them at issue in Chicago — that they largely oppose. For Obama, the only good that can come out of this strike is a quick end.”
J.G. Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- House leaders abandon border bill 21
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 21
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14