Police apprehend suspect, others tied to Sugar House shooting death
SALT LAKE CITY — Police Tuesday apprehended a man they believe pulled the trigger on 16-year-old Kenyatta Winston, who was found dead in a vacant lot in Sugar House nearly two weeks ago.
The man and a woman were seen driving near 900 South and State Street late Tuesday. When officers attempted to stop the car, he rammed a police vehicle and fled. Police stopped the car at 1000 South and 900 West by pinning it against a brick wall, said Salt Lake City police Sgt. Shawn Josephson.
The duo was being treated for minor injuries, but the officer in the police vehicle was not injured, Josephson said. Upon medical evaluation, the pair will be questioned by police. It is unclear whether the woman has any connection to the homicide investigation.
The incident came on the heels of another arrest of a woman believed to have lied to police Tuesday about her knowledge of Winston's death, said Salt Lake City police Det. Dennis McGowan.
Jessica Christine Reyos, 38, of Glendale, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail after she "was less than forthcoming about the homicide investigation," McGowan said. Reyos is being held for investigation of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony.
A probable cause statement revealed that Winston was last seen getting into a vehicle owned by Reyos, which she had loaned to an acquaintance. "Blood spatter" was later found inside the vehicle, according to a jail booking statement.
Winston's body was found by a construction worker on Aug. 29. He had last been seen by family three days prior. Winston attended East High School and had been living in Glendale at the time of his death. It is unknown why he was in the area where his body was found.
McGowan said investigators had been "relentless" in their investigation and questioned "countless persons" on the matter.
Police are not anticipating additional arrests in Winston's death, but the investigation continues.
Reyos, who goes by the name "J Rocc" on her MySpace page, has no history of criminal activity other than traffic violations and failure to leash a vicious dog more than a decade ago.
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Utah girl dances solo 9 months after losing...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Water main break, sinkhole could delay...
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside own...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 46
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 34
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside... 21
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18