BYU’s FAMOUS MINT BROWNIES
1 (20-ounce) box brownie mix
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
12 ounces chocolate frosting
5 tablespoons butter, softened
Dash of salt
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
Blue food coloring
3 tablespoons milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, prepare the brownie mix according to package directions. Once the mix is combined thoroughly, add the walnuts and then spread batter in a 9-by-13 pan. Bake according to package directions.
To make the mint frosting, combine the butter, salt, corn syrup and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add the mint extract and food coloring. Mix in and then add the milk gradually until the frosting is a little more runny than cake frosting.
Spread the mint frosting over the cooled brownies and then place in the freezer for a short time to stiffen. Take brownies out of the freezer and carefully add a layer of chocolate frosting over top.
Note: For easier spreading, heat the chocolate frosting in the microwave.
Serves 12 to 15
BLUE-BERRY PARTY POPS
2 cups vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup honey
2 to 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen thawed and drained)
8 (5-ounce) paper cups
8 (3-by-3-inch) aluminum foil squares
8 Popsicle sticks or plastic spoons
Place yogurt and honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Gently fold in the blueberries and then pour an equal amounts of the mixture into each paper cup.
Cover the top of each cup with foil. Make a slit in the center of the foil for the Popsicle sticks (or plastic spoons) and then insert sticks into popsicles; freeze for 5 hours. To serve, peel off the paper cups.
Rosemarie Howard lives in a 100-year-old house on Main Street, Springville, Utah. She enjoys creating multimedia projects. Her website is at dramaticdimensions.com.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- The dark side of how society treats boys
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Southern California conference... 16
- Faith and family are driving forces for... 9
- The dark side of how society treats boys 9
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and... 3
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- ValueSpeak: Making everything super 2