BYU cross-country: BYU women’s cross country set for BYU Autumn Classic
PROVO, Utah – After a first-place finish in last week’s Twilight Classic, the BYU women’s cross-country team sets its sights on another victory at the BYU Autumn Classic.
The women’s 5K race will take place at 5 p.m. MDT at Cascade Golf Course in Orem, Utah.
“As the season goes on, we are continuing to race more of our core runners,” head coach Patrick Shane said. “So far, I’ve been really encouraged with what I’ve seen. It’s nice to have the luxury to bring our runners into the mix when they’re ready. It has allowed other runners to step up and shine. The Autumn Classic will be no different. The top runners from last week won’t be competing this week in order to conserve them for the rest of the season."
The annual Autumn Classic is an invitational event open to college and high school teams. This year the women’s team will match up against runners from Idaho State University, Utah Valley University, the University of Utah and nationally ranked Weber State University (17).
Last week freshmen Ashleigh Warner, Danica Wyson, Rachel Stewart and Laura Young dominated the Twilight Classic finishing second, third, fourth and fifth, respectively. All 13 BYU runners finished in the top 20.
In order to preserve the strength of his runners, coach Shane plans to run a new group consisting of upper and underclassman. Some of the runners set to compete include Lindsey Sowards Nielson, Maren Hanson Fassmann, Carrie Jube and Makenna Smith.
Smith, who competed last week at the Twilight Classic, finished eighth overall in 14:59 to close out the Cougar top five.
Kathryn Vidmar, Candace Eddy Carlisle and Jessica Hilton are also set to compete in the Autumn Classic.
The 5K, spectator-friendly course is three easy loops, well marked and easy to follow. Cascade Golf Course was the venue of the 2009 Mountain West Conference Cross-Country Championships.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at email@example.com
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 290
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 56
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37