Daggett County deputies investigating death of Wyoming man
MANILA, Daggett County — The Daggett County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a Wyoming man whose body was found near a canal southwest of Manila.
The body of Gregory Johnson, 51, of Rock Springs, was discovered Sept. 7 by a search dog team less than 100 yards from the Sheep Creek Canal, according to Daggett County Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen.
The canal is fed by Long’s Park Reservoir, about two miles upstream.
A hunter told authorities he spotted Johnson's truck Sept. 4 near the mouth of Sol's Canyon about 8½ miles southwest of Manila. When the hunter discovered a day later that the truck had not moved, he called the sheriff's office.
Deputies determined that Johnson had not been heard from since Sept. 2 at 2 a.m., when he left a Green River bar after playing a gig there with his band.
Daggett County authorities were able to find Johnson's campsite and organized the search that led to the discovery of his body.
Investigators do not believe Johnson was a victim of foul play, Jorgensen said. Instead, they believe Johnson fell into the canal and died of hypothermia while trying to reach his campsite, the sheriff said.
Johnson’s body has been sent to the state medical examiner for an autopsy. The sheriff's office investigation is ongoing.
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Body found near Jordan River trail in Salt...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Crews work to rescue boaters from Bear Lake...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 50
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 47
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 15
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat... 11