Daggett County deputies investigating death of Wyoming man
MANILA, Daggett County — The Daggett County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a Wyoming man whose body was found near a canal southwest of Manila.
The body of Gregory Johnson, 51, of Rock Springs, was discovered Sept. 7 by a search dog team less than 100 yards from the Sheep Creek Canal, according to Daggett County Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen.
The canal is fed by Long’s Park Reservoir, about two miles upstream.
A hunter told authorities he spotted Johnson's truck Sept. 4 near the mouth of Sol's Canyon about 8½ miles southwest of Manila. When the hunter discovered a day later that the truck had not moved, he called the sheriff's office.
Deputies determined that Johnson had not been heard from since Sept. 2 at 2 a.m., when he left a Green River bar after playing a gig there with his band.
Daggett County authorities were able to find Johnson's campsite and organized the search that led to the discovery of his body.
Investigators do not believe Johnson was a victim of foul play, Jorgensen said. Instead, they believe Johnson fell into the canal and died of hypothermia while trying to reach his campsite, the sheriff said.
Johnson’s body has been sent to the state medical examiner for an autopsy. The sheriff's office investigation is ongoing.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Police investigating death of man found near...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 28
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11