Sunday night's episode revealed what One Sweet Slice owner Janell Brown has been keeping secret since February: Brown won $10,000 as the top baker on the Food Network's "Cupcake Wars".
That's a big secret to keep, and Brown said it was only her husband and kids who were let in on it. But after returning last February with possibly a little bit more spending money, there were some people who had suspicions.
"If they are smart, some of them have caught on," Brown said before the show aired Sunday night. "We just can't talk about it until after Sunday night."
Her family and friends had to watch on the edge of their seats as Brown went from round to round. In the first round each baker was asked to create a cupcake using one ingredient from the "dark side" and one from the "light side" in the Star Wars-themed contest. This cupcake was judged solely on taste. Brown's pepper and cinnamon chocolate cupcake was just the right mixture of good and bad, according to one of the judges, Candace Nelson.
Round 2 required excellence in both the taste of the cupcake as well as the design. Each cupcake needed to represent a classic character from Star Wars. Brown and partner Kristen Cold decided to stay classic by creating a cupcake for Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Yoda.
Brown easily made it past the second round, which meant that she would go head-to-head with California bakers Desiree Corsetti-Meyers and Heather Shansey with D'Vine Pastry Bar, an online-only store. Each contestant had to design a cupcake stand that would outshine the other. With her impressive Star Wars knowledge, Brown quickly came up with an idea to produce a display centered around the famous TIE fighter.
Ashley Eckstein, the voice of Ahsoka Tano on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," guest starred as one of the judges. Darth Vader and R2D2 also appeared on the show. Brown presented her winning cupcakes and Star Wars display for the guests at a celebration in Orlando, Fla. One Sweet Slice is located at 1644 Towne Center Dr. in South Jordan.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a Communications major and editing minor.
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it can...
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting around the...
- RootsTech 2016 a 25,000-member 'studio audience'
- The Clean Cut: Chicago Blackhawks surprise...
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell...
- Orchestra of Southern Utah Children's Jubilee...
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography 13
- As 'Sesame Street' debuts on HBO, some... 2
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it... 2
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Father's... 1
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Losing weight... 1
- Tangy orange shrimp dish that's quickly... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting... 1
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling featured in... 0