TAYLORSVILLE — A 28-year-old man allegedly fleeing from police while driving 110 mph was lucky to have only minor injuries after witnesses said he rolled his car six or seven times.
About 1:15 a.m. Monday, an officer attempted to pull over a vehicle near 5400 S. Bangerter Highway after the driver made a left turn directly in front of the officer, nearly hitting him, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The driver refused to pull over and a short chase ensued before police called it off because of safety concerns.
Just 27 blocks later, however, the driver lost control of his vehicle, skidded into the curb and rolled six or seven times, said Unified Police Lt. Steve Shreeve. The accident took out trees and signs on the park strip in front of Walmart near 5469 S. Redwood Road.
Despite the accident, the driver was able to get out of his car and run, Shreeve said. A police K-9 found him hiding behind the store. Eduardo Lopez was treated for a minor dog bite after he tried to resist arrest, Shreeve said.
After being treated at the hospital, Lopez was expected to be booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of felony fleeing and DUI. Alcohol and impairment were believed to be factors, Shreeve said.
Utah court records show Lopez was found guilty and fined a year ago for driving without ever obtaining a license.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 93
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 19
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13