TAYLORSVILLE — A 28-year-old man allegedly fleeing from police while driving 110 mph was lucky to have only minor injuries after witnesses said he rolled his car six or seven times.
About 1:15 a.m. Monday, an officer attempted to pull over a vehicle near 5400 S. Bangerter Highway after the driver made a left turn directly in front of the officer, nearly hitting him, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The driver refused to pull over and a short chase ensued before police called it off because of safety concerns.
Just 27 blocks later, however, the driver lost control of his vehicle, skidded into the curb and rolled six or seven times, said Unified Police Lt. Steve Shreeve. The accident took out trees and signs on the park strip in front of Walmart near 5469 S. Redwood Road.
Despite the accident, the driver was able to get out of his car and run, Shreeve said. A police K-9 found him hiding behind the store. Eduardo Lopez was treated for a minor dog bite after he tried to resist arrest, Shreeve said.
After being treated at the hospital, Lopez was expected to be booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of felony fleeing and DUI. Alcohol and impairment were believed to be factors, Shreeve said.
Utah court records show Lopez was found guilty and fined a year ago for driving without ever obtaining a license.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17