BYU football: Cougars take care of business against Weber State
Plenty to work on before matchup with Utah
"Going into these big games, we can't be in the red zone going in to score and have Cody fumble the football ball and in a critical situation before the half, throw an interception," said offensive coordinator Brandon Doman. "I don't want to see that stuff. If we can eliminate that kind of stuff and play the way we're playing, with our defense, I think we have a pretty good team."
Speaking of the defense, the Cougars held the Wildcats to 254 yards of total offense. But they were disappointed they weren't able to pitch a shutout against Weber State. One of the Wildcat's two TDs came with :50 seconds remaining in the game.
"I don't think we should be satisfied. It's not the best team that we've played, and two touchdowns is too much," said Cougar cornerback Preston Hadley. "I think our team and our defense need to be hungry this week. A lot of (Weber State's) success came due to our mental mistakes and missed assignments. It's stuff we need to clean up."
BYU surrendered its first touchdown of the season late in the third quarter.
"That's something that shouldn't happen against our defense," Hadley said. "It was missed assignments, lack of focus, lack of concentration. We gave them opportunities to make plays. It's disappointing because we never want to have (opposing) touchdowns scored in our stadium."
Overall, though, Mendenhall liked his team's "methodical and workmanlike" effort against Weber State.
"I think we handled the game and the week maturely," he said.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24