Tom Smart, Deseret News
Any doubts this is Riley Nelson's team have vanished. It can be hard to find something new about your team when everything seems to be working. Typically a little adversity is needed to prove your mettle.
Saturday afternoon, Cougar Nation learned this is a united team and has the depth to be thorn in any opponent's side. Nelson was 18-29 for 244 yards with one touchdown and one interception, but the combination of Taysom Hill and James Lark accounted for four of BYU's scores.
Lark and Hill seemed to play with that same intensity and grit that Nelson plays with, as Hill ran for a score in the first half and Lark picked up one on the ground as well as one through the air.
All week the chatter was BYU would pound the ground game and try to control the tempo, but it would turn out to be the opposite. The Cougars picked up 68 yards on the ground in the first half but would more than double that total by tallying an impressive 225 yards on the ground.
Michael Alisa led the Cougars with 53 yards rushing, but the ground game was spread over ten different ball carriers. It didn't matter who carried the ball however, as BYU averaged 6.1 yards per carry and had four rushing touchdowns.
The defense came out with a purpose, making sure to let the Wildcats know if they had the ball, they were going to get hit. BYU's D did allow 115 yards rushing and 13 points, but the Cougars showed they put in the work during the week and they will be a factor in any game for the rest of the season.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 45
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42