BYU football: Cougars take 21-0 lead over Weber State into halftime
PROVO — Don't hold your breath for another in-state upset to happen in the local college football scene.
After a sluggish start, BYU has rolled to a 21-0 halftime lead over FCS visitor Weber State this afternoon at LaVell Edwards Stadium. The Cougars have amassed a whopping 312 yards compared to just 85 yards for the Wildcats.
It took awhile for BYU to get rolling, though.
The Cougars punted on their first two possessions before finally getting on their fancy new scoreboards late in the opening quarter when Riley Nelson connected with Cody Hoffman for a 37-yard touchdown.
Freshman QB Taysom Hill and running back Michael Alisa both found paydirt on the ground in the second quarter when the Cougars opened up a three-TD lead.
So far, Hoffman has hauled in 110 yards receiving on six catches, including his soaring score over Wildcat cornerback Devin Pugh.
Nelson threw for 244 yards on 18-for-28 passing with one touchdown and an interception in the first half. Hill didn't attempt a pass, but he scored on his only play behind center — a 2-yard QB keeper on a Wildcat play.
This is the second game featuring Utah colleges in as many days. Utah State upset Utah in overtime with a 27-20 win in Logan on Friday night.
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Former BYU star Russell Larson enjoys...
- Dante's shadow: Breaking down Dante Exum's game
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 131
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 72
- Dick Harmon: Every player on BYU's... 71
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utah Utes football: No. 23 Utes defeat... 52
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- BYU gets bowl-eligible with 42-23 win... 25
- Utes still have outside chance at... 25