BYU football: Cougars take 21-0 lead over Weber State into halftime
PROVO — Don't hold your breath for another in-state upset to happen in the local college football scene.
After a sluggish start, BYU has rolled to a 21-0 halftime lead over FCS visitor Weber State this afternoon at LaVell Edwards Stadium. The Cougars have amassed a whopping 312 yards compared to just 85 yards for the Wildcats.
It took awhile for BYU to get rolling, though.
The Cougars punted on their first two possessions before finally getting on their fancy new scoreboards late in the opening quarter when Riley Nelson connected with Cody Hoffman for a 37-yard touchdown.
Freshman QB Taysom Hill and running back Michael Alisa both found paydirt on the ground in the second quarter when the Cougars opened up a three-TD lead.
So far, Hoffman has hauled in 110 yards receiving on six catches, including his soaring score over Wildcat cornerback Devin Pugh.
Nelson threw for 244 yards on 18-for-28 passing with one touchdown and an interception in the first half. Hill didn't attempt a pass, but he scored on his only play behind center — a 2-yard QB keeper on a Wildcat play.
This is the second game featuring Utah colleges in as many days. Utah State upset Utah in overtime with a 27-20 win in Logan on Friday night.
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24