BYU football: Cougars take 21-0 lead over Weber State into halftime
PROVO — Don't hold your breath for another in-state upset to happen in the local college football scene.
After a sluggish start, BYU has rolled to a 21-0 halftime lead over FCS visitor Weber State this afternoon at LaVell Edwards Stadium. The Cougars have amassed a whopping 312 yards compared to just 85 yards for the Wildcats.
It took awhile for BYU to get rolling, though.
The Cougars punted on their first two possessions before finally getting on their fancy new scoreboards late in the opening quarter when Riley Nelson connected with Cody Hoffman for a 37-yard touchdown.
Freshman QB Taysom Hill and running back Michael Alisa both found paydirt on the ground in the second quarter when the Cougars opened up a three-TD lead.
So far, Hoffman has hauled in 110 yards receiving on six catches, including his soaring score over Wildcat cornerback Devin Pugh.
Nelson threw for 244 yards on 18-for-28 passing with one touchdown and an interception in the first half. Hill didn't attempt a pass, but he scored on his only play behind center — a 2-yard QB keeper on a Wildcat play.
This is the second game featuring Utah colleges in as many days. Utah State upset Utah in overtime with a 27-20 win in Logan on Friday night.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21