Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
USU's offense (barely) recovers in time: While the Aggies posted 380 yards, 94 came in the first quarter, when they charged to a 13-0 lead. The middle stanzas saw little USU production before 19-year-old quarterback Chuckie Keeton guided the Aggies to 139 fourth-quarter and overtime yards and two touchdowns.
Utah’s main production came in the second and third quarters, when the Utes accumulated 179 yards and 13 points.
John White slowed: After compiling 1,519 total rushing yards last season — and after amassing 119 last week against Northern Colorado — the star was limited to 96 yards on just 3.6 yards per carry in Logan. Overall, the Utes were out-gained 164 yards to 96 on the ground.
What the Hays: After Jordan Wynn exited the game for good with an injury that put his left arm in a sling, Jon Hays more than picked up the pace — for a while, at least. While Wynn went just 6-of-11 for 47 yards, the senior quarterback was 4-of-5 after his first drive — when the Utes notched their first points — going into halftime. But he went just 8-of-21 afterwards, for a total of only 154 yards.
Conversions lacking, but USU figures it out: Both clubs struggled to convert when facing third downs. The Aggies were just 2-of-13, while the Utes notched a 2-of-17 rate. USU did convert in overtime, when it most counted. Keeton sweeped to his left for 23 yards of open field, feet shy of the end zone. Williams lurched for the go-ahead score moments later.
Meanwhile, a subsequent game-tying touchdown pass from Hays was nullified by a 15-yard penalty, and the Utes couldn’t recover facing two downs to go 21 yards for a tying touchdown.
Rhett Wilkinson attends Utah State University, is a Capitol Hill intern and the co-founder and managing editor of Aggie BluePrint. He's previously been an intern for the Deseret News. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter: @wilkl
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Nebraska transfer Harvey Jackson stepped up...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28