Utah State, Utah football: Aggies lead Utah 13-3 at halftime
LOGAN – The Utah State football team is dominating a favored Utah team in the first half Friday night at Romney Stadium, taking a 13-3 lead against a mistake-prone Ute squad at halftime.
USU got on the scoreboard midway through the first quarter on the Utes’ first mistake. The Aggies broke through the Utes' wall and Zach Vigil blocked Sean Sellwood’s punt. Clayton Christensen recovered in the end zone and the Aggies led 7-0 with the extra point.
The second score came with three seconds left in the first quarter when Chuckie Keeton hit Joe Hill with a 15-yard touchdown pass in the left corner of the end zone. That capped a six-play 80-yard drive, but Brock Warren’s kick sailed wide.
The Utes had advanced to the USU 20 early in the second quarter after dropping the Aggie punter on a bad snap at the USU 36, but Ute quarterback Jordan Wynn fumbled a snap and the Aggies recovered. Wynn was sacked three times in the first half and on the third sack, he went down hard and left the field with a left shoulder injury that will keep him out the rest of the game.
Backup Jon Hays replaced Wynn and drove the Utes 48 yards in eight plays and as the half ended, Coleman Peterson booted a 42-yard field goal.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28