Utah State, Utah football: Aggies lead Utah 13-3 at halftime
LOGAN – The Utah State football team is dominating a favored Utah team in the first half Friday night at Romney Stadium, taking a 13-3 lead against a mistake-prone Ute squad at halftime.
USU got on the scoreboard midway through the first quarter on the Utes’ first mistake. The Aggies broke through the Utes' wall and Zach Vigil blocked Sean Sellwood’s punt. Clayton Christensen recovered in the end zone and the Aggies led 7-0 with the extra point.
The second score came with three seconds left in the first quarter when Chuckie Keeton hit Joe Hill with a 15-yard touchdown pass in the left corner of the end zone. That capped a six-play 80-yard drive, but Brock Warren’s kick sailed wide.
The Utes had advanced to the USU 20 early in the second quarter after dropping the Aggie punter on a bad snap at the USU 36, but Ute quarterback Jordan Wynn fumbled a snap and the Aggies recovered. Wynn was sacked three times in the first half and on the third sack, he went down hard and left the field with a left shoulder injury that will keep him out the rest of the game.
Backup Jon Hays replaced Wynn and drove the Utes 48 yards in eight plays and as the half ended, Coleman Peterson booted a 42-yard field goal.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26