Broadway singer Sandra Turley shares stories of life, gospel
While in New York and while she was performing, she served in her ward and stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the youth program, Josh Turley said. Also, when he was called to serve in a Spanish-speaking ward bishopric, she served with him.
They currently live in Maryland and she has a calling in Relief Society for the first time.
Each song on her debut CD "On Broadway,” which was released earlier this year by Shadow Mountain Records, represents a story from her life.
“The messages and stories transcend all ages and feelings,” Turley said of the 10 show tunes on the CD.
“The Girl in 14G” from “Thoroughly Modern Mille” reminds her of one of the first places they lived in New York City with an eclectic group of neighbors.
“For Good” from “Wicked” is sung with her sister and is about “the people around us and how they affect our lives,” Turley said, including one very “tender and profound experience.”
They had adopted a baby and had her for five weeks when the birth mother wanted the baby back.
“It was life-defining,” she said. “A little 5-pound baby girl changed our life for good.”
It also taught her about the Atonement and using it to find peace and charity, including love for the birth mother.
Now they have three young children — a 6-year-old, a 4-year-old and a 3-year-old — with one on the way.
And then, “On My Own” from "Les Misérables" just brings back memories from her days in the show.
She also shares songs from “Phantom of the Opera,” “The Sound of Music” and “Little Women.” One of her young daughters joins her in the “Les Misérables Melody.”
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- Maddy's Mighty Minions: LDS 8-year-old with...
- Do contraceptive rules make religious groups...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir members react to...
- Defending the Faith: Who were the first...
- School prayer lawsuit in Georgia... 41
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 28
- Evangelicals and Muslims together... 25
- The spiritual side effects of viewing... 25
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 12
- Sunrise service: Utahns should emulate... 5
- ... 5