Evan Vucci, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Mitt Romney is scheduled to make a quick stop in Utah later this month, likely his last visit to the state that claims him as a "favorite son" before November's presidential election.
Romney is expected to hold a pair of fundraising events in Salt Lake City on Sept. 18, including a $25,000-a-person VIP reception. For Utahns who want to support the GOP candidate but can't write a check that big, a $1,000-a-plate luncheon is also planned.
Details of Romney's visit are still being worked out, but an event where Utahns could see the former leader of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City without charge is also a possibility.
Romney's son Josh Romney, who lives in Millcreek, spoke briefly about his father Friday during a fundraiser for congressional candidate Mia Love. He did not mention the presidential candidate's upcoming visit to Utah.
He said his father called him Thursday night to see how his grandchildren were doing as they started school this week.
"It's a good reminder that my dad has his priorities straight. He's doing this all for future generations," Romney said.
The conversation, he said, also turned to the national debt.
"He really is frightened about the future of this country if he's not elected," Josh Romney said.
The younger Romney said he expects to be on the presidential campaign trail "every minute" over the next two months.
Mitt Romney has returned to Utah regularly for fundraisers since losing his first bid for the White House four years ago, but he has not held a campaign rally in the state since an appearance at Hires Big H in downtown Salt Lake City in June 2011.
Kirk Jowers, head of the University of Utah's Hinckley Institute of Politics and a longtime Romney backer, said he was "thrilled the next president of the United States will come back to Utah one more time to say, 'Thank you for all your support.'"
Utahns have contributed more than $4.7 million to Romney's campaign, compared to less than $900,000 for President Barack Obama, according to the Federal Elections Commission.
Contributing: Dennis Romboy
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer found...
- Provo couple killed in RV accident near St....
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Steven Powell can't go back to his home,...
- Police were watching, listening to Josh and...
- Common Core State Standards attract...
- 'More questions than answers' as charges...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 70
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer... 38
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17