Politics aside: President Barack Obama, Mitt Romney put premium on being good dads
A Washington Post article earlier this year portrayed Romney as a young husband and father. "Dane McBride, Romney’s friend and former missionary companion, was also newly married and rented upstairs in the three-story brick building close to campus. He would come down with his wife for spontaneous spaghetti dinners. The men would reprise jovial songs from their missionary days." At that time, Tagg was an infant and slept in a crib at the foot of their bed.
The article went on: "'I remember Mitt explaining to me the benefits of married life,' said Clayton F. Foulger, a close friend who water-skied with Romney on Lake Utah and still spends summers at the family vacation home on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. 'He didn’t have to explain a lot. It was sort of self-evident. But he was appreciative of it, I’ll tell you.'”
His boys said that Romney raised them to treat their mother Ann with special respect. In a profile of Romney by Vanity Fair, Tagg was quoted: "We were not allowed to say anything negative about my mother, talk back to her, do anything that would not be respectful of her.”
"What makes his parents’ relationship work," the article continued, "is their distinct characters: Mitt is driven first by reason, while Ann operates more on emotion. 'She helps him see there’s stuff beyond the logic; he helps her see that there’s more than just instinct and feeling,' Tagg said. Mitt and Ann’s relationship would grow and change as their family entered the public eye. But she has remained his chief counselor and confidante, the one person who can lead Mitt to a final decision. Though she did not necessarily offer detailed input on every business deal, friends said, she weighed in on just about everything else.
" ... Ann would later be mocked for her claim that she and Mitt had never had an argument during their marriage, which sounded preposterous to the ears of many married mortals. Tagg said it’s not that his parents never disagree. 'I know there are things that she says that he doesn’t agree with sometimes, and I see him kind of bite his tongue. But I know that they go and discuss it in private. He doesn’t ever contradict my mother in public.' Friends of the Romneys’ back up that account, saying they cannot recall Mitt ever raising his voice toward Ann."
EMAIL: email@example.com, Twitter: Loisco
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Top 15 states for education
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5