CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah National Guard will have an adjutant general change of command as part of its annual Governor's Day activities on Sept. 29 at 10 a.m. at Camp Williams parade field.
Maj. Gen. Brian L. Tarbet will relinquish command after 12 years to Maj. Gen. Jefferson S. Burton.
The event will provide Gov. Gary Herbert, commander in chief of the Utah National Guard, an opportunity to review his troops in a pass-and-review ceremony as required by statute and to meet individual airmen and soldiers in person.
Events will also feature flyovers by Utah National Guard aircraft, a cannon salute, music from the 23rd Army Band, equipment displays, a climbing wall and food court.
Tarbet is retiring after completing his second six-year term as adjutant general. During his 12 years as adjutant general, Tarbet, of Kaysville, oversaw the operations of the Utah Guard in the critical days following 9/11 and the ensuing flurry of deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.
Burton, a longtime Payson resident, enlisted as an artilleryman in 1982. He graduated from Brigham Young University’s ROTC program and was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1984.
For the past five years, Burton has served as assistant adjutant general-Army in the Utah Guard, responsible for the training and support of 5,600 soldiers. His awards and decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Combat Action Badge and Parachutist Wings.
Burton assumes command of 7,000 airmen and soldiers.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 79
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17