CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah National Guard will have an adjutant general change of command as part of its annual Governor's Day activities on Sept. 29 at 10 a.m. at Camp Williams parade field.
Maj. Gen. Brian L. Tarbet will relinquish command after 12 years to Maj. Gen. Jefferson S. Burton.
The event will provide Gov. Gary Herbert, commander in chief of the Utah National Guard, an opportunity to review his troops in a pass-and-review ceremony as required by statute and to meet individual airmen and soldiers in person.
Events will also feature flyovers by Utah National Guard aircraft, a cannon salute, music from the 23rd Army Band, equipment displays, a climbing wall and food court.
Tarbet is retiring after completing his second six-year term as adjutant general. During his 12 years as adjutant general, Tarbet, of Kaysville, oversaw the operations of the Utah Guard in the critical days following 9/11 and the ensuing flurry of deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.
Burton, a longtime Payson resident, enlisted as an artilleryman in 1982. He graduated from Brigham Young University’s ROTC program and was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1984.
For the past five years, Burton has served as assistant adjutant general-Army in the Utah Guard, responsible for the training and support of 5,600 soldiers. His awards and decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Combat Action Badge and Parachutist Wings.
Burton assumes command of 7,000 airmen and soldiers.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14