CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah National Guard will have an adjutant general change of command as part of its annual Governor's Day activities on Sept. 29 at 10 a.m. at Camp Williams parade field.
Maj. Gen. Brian L. Tarbet will relinquish command after 12 years to Maj. Gen. Jefferson S. Burton.
The event will provide Gov. Gary Herbert, commander in chief of the Utah National Guard, an opportunity to review his troops in a pass-and-review ceremony as required by statute and to meet individual airmen and soldiers in person.
Events will also feature flyovers by Utah National Guard aircraft, a cannon salute, music from the 23rd Army Band, equipment displays, a climbing wall and food court.
Tarbet is retiring after completing his second six-year term as adjutant general. During his 12 years as adjutant general, Tarbet, of Kaysville, oversaw the operations of the Utah Guard in the critical days following 9/11 and the ensuing flurry of deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.
Burton, a longtime Payson resident, enlisted as an artilleryman in 1982. He graduated from Brigham Young University’s ROTC program and was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1984.
For the past five years, Burton has served as assistant adjutant general-Army in the Utah Guard, responsible for the training and support of 5,600 soldiers. His awards and decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Combat Action Badge and Parachutist Wings.
Burton assumes command of 7,000 airmen and soldiers.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 161
- Romney decision not to run again... 47
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21