VERNAL — A 16-year-old boy has been sentenced to serve up to 30 days in a secure detention facility for igniting three canister-style smoke bombs inside Uintah High School.
The sentence came after the teen admitted to allegations of attempted aggravated arson, assault and criminal mischief in connection with the Aug. 22 incident at the school, according to 8th District Juvenile Court records.
Firefighters and Uintah County sheriff's deputies were called to Uintah High about 9 a.m. that day after someone ignited the smoke bombs as an assembly was ending. Two of the devices were thrown into the seating area of the auditorium, and the other was thrown down an aisle, said Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher.
More than 1,110 students were evacuated from the school. Several students complained of smoke inhalation and one girl suffered burns to her foot, deputies said. Parts of the auditorium floor were also damaged.
A teacher overheard a conversation between a student and one of his friends during the evacuation, which led the teacher to detain the student and call the sheriff's office. Deputies found two other smoke bombs outside the auditorium that had not been ignited. Investigators say the incident was likely intended as a prank.
In addition to the detention time, the teen was also ordered to pay $1,100 in fines and $200 in restitution for damage done to the high school. The boy will also be responsible for the medical expenses incurred by the family of the girl whose foot was burned.
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Attorney General John Swallow tells House...
- Lehi imposes emergency watering restrictions
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 30
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 20