Teen sentenced to 30 days for Uintah High smoke bomb incident
VERNAL — A 16-year-old boy has been sentenced to serve up to 30 days in a secure detention facility for igniting three canister-style smoke bombs inside Uintah High School.
The sentence came after the teen admitted to allegations of attempted aggravated arson, assault and criminal mischief in connection with the Aug. 22 incident at the school, according to 8th District Juvenile Court records.
Firefighters and Uintah County sheriff's deputies were called to Uintah High about 9 a.m. that day after someone ignited the smoke bombs as an assembly was ending. Two of the devices were thrown into the seating area of the auditorium, and the other was thrown down an aisle, said Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher.
More than 1,110 students were evacuated from the school. Several students complained of smoke inhalation and one girl suffered burns to her foot, deputies said. Parts of the auditorium floor were also damaged.
A teacher overheard a conversation between a student and one of his friends during the evacuation, which led the teacher to detain the student and call the sheriff's office. Deputies found two other smoke bombs outside the auditorium that had not been ignited. Investigators say the incident was likely intended as a prank.
In addition to the detention time, the teen was also ordered to pay $1,100 in fines and $200 in restitution for damage done to the high school. The boy will also be responsible for the medical expenses incurred by the family of the girl whose foot was burned.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 12