VERNAL — A 16-year-old boy has been sentenced to serve up to 30 days in a secure detention facility for igniting three canister-style smoke bombs inside Uintah High School.
The sentence came after the teen admitted to allegations of attempted aggravated arson, assault and criminal mischief in connection with the Aug. 22 incident at the school, according to 8th District Juvenile Court records.
Firefighters and Uintah County sheriff's deputies were called to Uintah High about 9 a.m. that day after someone ignited the smoke bombs as an assembly was ending. Two of the devices were thrown into the seating area of the auditorium, and the other was thrown down an aisle, said Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher.
More than 1,110 students were evacuated from the school. Several students complained of smoke inhalation and one girl suffered burns to her foot, deputies said. Parts of the auditorium floor were also damaged.
A teacher overheard a conversation between a student and one of his friends during the evacuation, which led the teacher to detain the student and call the sheriff's office. Deputies found two other smoke bombs outside the auditorium that had not been ignited. Investigators say the incident was likely intended as a prank.
In addition to the detention time, the teen was also ordered to pay $1,100 in fines and $200 in restitution for damage done to the high school. The boy will also be responsible for the medical expenses incurred by the family of the girl whose foot was burned.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Steven Powell will not be released from...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- LDS Church submits temporary Provo MTC plans...
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 53
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 44
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 17
- New law banning teen drivers from... 16