USU soccer: Utah State soccer takes on Eastern Washington at the Viking Classic Friday
Utah State soccer is back in action Friday, taking on Eastern Washington in its first match at the Viking Classic hosted by Portland State. Kickoff for the match with the Eagles is 7 p.m. (MT).
The Aggies are 4-1-1 this season after a win last week against Utah Valley on the road and a loss to Northern Colorado at home.
The Eagles hold a 2-3 series advantage against the Aggies. The last time the two teams met was in 2007 when EWU defeated Utah State, 2-1, in Cheney, Wash. Prior to that, the two teams met in 2006 when the Aggies edged the Eagles, 1-0, in Logan.
This season, Eastern Washington is 0-3-1, last falling to Wyoming, 4-1, on Sept. 2. The Eagles also have losses to North Dakota and Seattle. EWU also tied Air Force earlier this season.
After going five-straight matches without scoring, junior midfielder Kendra Pemberton got on the board big time against Utah Valley on Sept. 2. She had an assist on the Aggies first goal against the Wolverines and added the golden goal to push Utah State past Utah Valley, 2-1, in overtime.
After taking on Eastern Washington, the Aggies will take on Portland State on Sunday, Sept. 9, at 2 p.m. (MT). The Aggies hold a close 2-1-2 record against Portland State in five meetings. The last time the two teams met was in 2011 when Utah State stopped Portland State, 2-1, at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field in Logan. USU came from behind to beat the Vikings behind goals from Shantel Flanary and junior forward Mari Miyashiro.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45