USU soccer: Utah State soccer takes on Eastern Washington at the Viking Classic Friday
Utah State soccer is back in action Friday, taking on Eastern Washington in its first match at the Viking Classic hosted by Portland State. Kickoff for the match with the Eagles is 7 p.m. (MT).
The Aggies are 4-1-1 this season after a win last week against Utah Valley on the road and a loss to Northern Colorado at home.
The Eagles hold a 2-3 series advantage against the Aggies. The last time the two teams met was in 2007 when EWU defeated Utah State, 2-1, in Cheney, Wash. Prior to that, the two teams met in 2006 when the Aggies edged the Eagles, 1-0, in Logan.
This season, Eastern Washington is 0-3-1, last falling to Wyoming, 4-1, on Sept. 2. The Eagles also have losses to North Dakota and Seattle. EWU also tied Air Force earlier this season.
After going five-straight matches without scoring, junior midfielder Kendra Pemberton got on the board big time against Utah Valley on Sept. 2. She had an assist on the Aggies first goal against the Wolverines and added the golden goal to push Utah State past Utah Valley, 2-1, in overtime.
After taking on Eastern Washington, the Aggies will take on Portland State on Sunday, Sept. 9, at 2 p.m. (MT). The Aggies hold a close 2-1-2 record against Portland State in five meetings. The last time the two teams met was in 2011 when Utah State stopped Portland State, 2-1, at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field in Logan. USU came from behind to beat the Vikings behind goals from Shantel Flanary and junior forward Mari Miyashiro.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43